Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My husband has a stoma. he has had watery discharge only foe

my husband has a stoma. he has had watery discharge only foe 10 days, eating causes cramps and discomfort. Dr saw him 5 days ago and gave him codeine based tablets for pain. Thought it was a tummy bug. Stoma nurse said eat starchy foods and drink, all done. he is constantly tired, very weak, very pale. today he is light headed and clammy.he won't let me take him to A&e,
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.Light headedness worries me. It indicates reduced blood flow to the brain. The cause can be - dehydration/ anemia/ vitamin deficiency/ low blood pressure or low blood sugar. These are likely causes I can think of with he having stoma. Stoma indicates that lesser of intestine is available to absorb fluid and nutrients. The cause needs to be found out. Next step - Give him sugar rich food as of now - this will relieve low blood sugar - if the cause of symptom. Keep him hydrated. Keep him lying down so that he does not feel dizzy. He needs immediate medical evaluation. You need to convince him to go to Emergency room. Wish him well.Best