Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had episodes of 'wanting to pass out lately', but have

i have had episodes of 'wanting to pass out lately', but have not lost consciousness. It lasts for less than a minute and leaves me a bit tired but otherwise unchanged. It does stop me in my tracks though. It happened when I was out cycling (which was dodgy) and once at work. My bloods are all o.k as is b.p etc. I went to the drs who ordered 7 day event monitor and 24 hour tape. Both were o.k. I have a history of spinal osteoarthritis -moderate, cervical spondylosis for many years and disc comression L5, treated with osteopathy
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Do you feel any dizziness?Also any ear problem?Common cause can be due to the benign positional vertigo.Due to the canalith repositioning problem in the inner ear, brief episodes of dizziness may be experienced.Cervical spondylosis also can cause such episodes.Snce your heart monitor is ok, the problem is else where.Ministrokes or TIAs are other possibilities.A brain scan and carotid doppler can be considered.Likely not serious if brain scan normal.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unsure about dizziness, but firstly felt I wanted to pass out. operated on for external ear cholesteatoma last year and have had m.s since 1992. Have been working as a staff nurse in acute medicine for the past 16 years. fit and well, normally. (apart from this lot)! Didn't mention the m.s first as sometimes people find it hard to see beyond it. thanks Lisa Gye
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for additional information.Your symptoms are likely inner ear rlated.You had cholesteatoma which can sometimes erode the temporal bone.MS also can affect the nerves.Both these factors can affect the balance mechanism momentarily.You can get Vestibular Evoked Potential ( VEP) test from a ENT specialist.