Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have experienced popping in my ear four months I

I have experienced popping in my ear for over four months I have been prescribed nasal steroids and antibiotics and I have tried facial steaming and the application of eucalyptus to my ear to no avail. I also get intermittent throat pain on the same side as my popping ear. Please help I'm worried this is something sinister
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question.You are most likely having what is called as eustachian tube dysfunction on that side. Eustachian tube is the tube that connects the ear to the throat. If there is a problem with the tube and it can cause pain in the ear and in the throat as well at times.I would recommend that you be seen by an ENT doctor to be evaluated fully and to have this condition diagnosed and treated appropriately.Once diagnosed initial treatment is with decongestant sprays and steroid spray, similar to the one that you are using.If this fails then you may require a small procedure i.e. insertion of a tube that is called as a Grommet tube.But first you need to be examined and diagnosed by consulting an ENT specialist.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Many thanks I have been very worried about the pain in my throat this is not the first time I have had it and pain my ear but it tends to go away. It is very intermittent. I used to smoke but quit three years ago and use and e cigarette I was wondering if this exacerbated it? My mum died of cancer two years ago and I have been diagnosed with GAD and PTSD. I was born with glue ear I have had grommits and a T drain in my right ear as a child in the ear that is now affected. Many thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.
This is not cancer. Pain in the throat goes against cancer which is a painless condition to start with. Pain indicates some inflammation or infection going on in the throat but this is not cancer. It is your anxiety that is getting the better of you which is the reason why you keep thinking about cancer.Yes exactly, with your history of ear problems in the past, that is exactly what it is that is causing your problem. You need to have it reassessed.I am sorry to hear about your mom.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will many thanks for your help I really appreciate your time
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.
You are most welcome.Wish you all the best.Take careGoodbye for now.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thankyou doctor tonight I shall sleep
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.
:)