Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My life has been ruined by impetigo since I was a teenager

My life has been ruined by impetigo since I was a teenager and I'm now 43. When stressed it gets so bad I often spend months indoors. I have Fucidin cream which I rush to apply the second I get that dreaded bump appear..something it goes down right before my eyes, sometimes it's too late and I know I will have weeks of misery to come. My face is filled with scars, my life is a misery and I don't believe it will ever go away now.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Impetigo can be debilitating especially if it is being under treated. The right way is to go to any infectious disease specialist and have a culture and sensitivity test done to identify the pathogen involved. Once, that is established the specific antibiotic course should be initiated. Most of the time Impetigo is caused by staphylococcus aureus but it can also in recurrent cases be caused by more resistant species of the organism, like MRSA (Methicillin resistant Staph Aureus), these bacteria sit in the nose and other safe places of the body after a limited use of antibiotics only to invade again when there is stress which causes immunocompromise.So, an extended course of a broad spectrum culture specific antibiotic will definitely get rid of this.Please do leave not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor cannot do this for me though and I do not appear out of the house without makeup - can I send a sample off to be tested online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but that is just basically telling me to go and see my doctor who doesn't help anyway, that really isn't advice worth paying for.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
The session is not over, we can discuss further. But I can not prescribe anything to you since this website is solely for exchange of information.Yes, you can send a sample from home but you will need to talk to your Laboratory and find out what their requirements are. They will give you a swab to swipe over the lesion and instructions on how to perform it. Make up will not alter the results of the culture test.Let me know if you need more information.Please do leave not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use Fucidin cream, which my doctor says is useless after the skin has broken out and is weeping. So what's the best thing I can treat it with - apart from oral anti-biotics - while it looks this bad? It's openly weeping on my face and looks awful, I can't even cover it up, it's been doing it for a few days now and just seems to be getting worse...it's now heading to the stage where it will leave yet another scar..I just need it to dry up asap?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.You can use Fucidin when the sore is open, it does control the infection. But apply the cream once a day or twice and not more than that.Or you can use Mycitracin ointment once or twice a day.It can take up to a week to 10 days for these lesions to heal. The best approach will be to get a culture done and use oral antibiotics as well.Please do leave not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The swabs came back normal with no action to be taken. I clearly have a severe problem and don't know what to do now? :(
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried Retinoids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor doesn't really want to know, he says he can't prescribe them as it would have to come from a specialist...to be honest, all he ever wants to do is write a prescription (if I tell him what I want) and rush me out of the door. He's just given me even more antibiotics (which I ordered in the first place) and which I don't really need more of and said to see how it goes. After all these years I think I know where it will go...nowhere. Thanks for your replies, I will rate you shortly, guess I'm just stuck like this.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure to help you.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating.