Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have woken up with a slightly sore neck and when I touched

I have woken up with a slightly sore neck and when I touched it I felt a slight pea size lump which is sore to touch. I am a terrible worrier, so obviously I straight away think it is cancer, what else could it be. are there glands there? Obviously I will go to a doctor if ti does not go in the next few days.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidif you sleep on your neck in a wrong position, you can wake up with sore neck muscles.or you could have a swollen skin cyst or a small reactive lymph node in your neck which happens when your body is fighting off an infection to help keep you healthyyou have many many normal lymph nodes in your neck on both sides which are part of your immune system that filter lymphatic fluid to help keep you healthy.I am a cancer doctor. this doesn't sound like cancer.let me know if you have other questions.