Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I HAVE PAIN UNDER THE LEFT SIDE OF MY RIB CAGE. SOMETIMES IT

Customer Question

I HAVE PAIN UNDER THE LEFT SIDE OF MY RIB CAGE. SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE A MASS THAT I CAN MOVE WITH MY RIBS. IT ISNT ALL THE TIME BUT WHEN IT STARTS ITS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. WHERE THERIBS START TO CURVE FROM THE BREASTBONE IT IS UNDER THERE.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf it feels like a mass you at least need an ultrasound.Mass could be pancreaseColonBoth need to be ruled out.Any pain there needs examination.It can also be stomach ulcer, pancreatitis, irritable bowel, etc. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThere are a lot of possibilities heremany are benign in fact. This would not likely be pancrease or colonI would recommend it is probably costochondritis (inflammation of cartilage) or rib tip syndromeyou don't need an ultrasound yet.see your doctor and get a good exam firstlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
I have opened the rating field