Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been suffering with crippling migraines years

I have been suffering with crippling migraines for 7 years but recently they have changed gotten a lot worse, they are all at the back of my head and top of my neck, recently i have felt a small lump on the left side of my cervical spine which is painless but when pressure applied it brings on a bad migraine. Recently i have been losing the feeling down my left side and very very dizzy and spaced out, the main problem i am worried about is my memory loss every since the loss of feeling etc i have been struggling to even string a sentence together i feel i have to really think about what im saying otherwise it just comes out all muddled up. I am only 30 and concerned as my GP is just not interested and just fobs me off with pain killers which i am taking far too regularly. Please help these migraines are taking over my life and getting me so down.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also when i turn my head from side to side i get a grinding feeling, my migraines have always been under control with regular pain killers, a bit of sleep and i knew all of my triggers, recently within the last few months i was taken to hospital with a query brain hemorrhage but got the all clear after a very painful lumbar puncture. Now these head pains are taking over my life, i get really bad nausea, and feels like someone has hit me over the back of the head with a bat.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please enumerate all the medications that you are on or that you have taken for your current problem?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have taken Propranolol with no effect and am now taking Pizotifen 1.5mg with no effect, I now take Rizatriptin which only helps ease the pain for about 2 hours and then it wears off. When i get these headaches it feels like someone has just hit me over the head with a bat and then then it is a constant throbbing and stabbing pain behind my eyes.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
Hello. The other expert has opted out. There are several issues to consider in this situation. There should be consideration of whether there should be additional advanced imaging of the head or cervical spine. A large part of the decision making is based on the results of physical examination, particularly examination of the lump in the neck and neurologic examination regarding the loss of sensation and mental status changes. It is possible that they may have done some advanced imaging at the time that the lumbar puncture was done, and if so, that can also be reviewed as part of the consideration of whether to perform additional advanced imaging. As for management of the headaches, there are several other options available. In someone with frequent and severe headaches, using medicines that can help to prevent the headaches, called prophylactic treatment, is the preferable primary treatment. You have already been tried on two common medicines used for prophylactic treatment, propranolol and pizotifen. There are several others that can be considered. Since you are also having some neck symptoms, it would be reasonable to try an antidepressant that has been shown to help with headaches, as they also can help with chronic spine problems. There are several available, but common medicines include amitriptyline and duloxetine. Other medicines that can be used as prophylactic medicines for migraine headaches includes certain anticonvulsants, such as topiramate and valproic acid, calcium antagonists, such as verapamil. There also has been several studies that have shown some benefit of Botox in people with headaches that do not respond to other treatments. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.