Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

When I was a baby I had hip displacement. This was discovered

Customer Question

When I was a baby I had hip displacement. This was discovered shortly after I was born and I had to wear one of those plastic harnesses for about 5 or 6 months. Then when I was older I needed to wear insoles and still do so today. However, for a couple of years now I have been suffering from terrible hip pain once a month, something which could last up to a week. I never had any major issues when walking or being on my feet for several hours. But now at work, when shopping or in general when I've been up and about for a couple of hours, I have terrible back ache which is so painful that I struggle to walk and stay straight up. Stretching doesn't help and neither does lying down. Yet withing 24+ hours, the pain will have reduced.
Could there be a link between my hip displacement as a baby and what I've got now. Also, I'm only 18 so I don't know why I get such bad back pain. As a side note, my mother always thought that the doctors didn't really fully examine me and give a definite answer.
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today. Hip pain worries me with history of dislocation. It needs further evaluation for sure. MRI hip joint would give us more answers. Shallow acetabular fossa, abnormal femoral head, lax or abnormal tendons and ligaments around the hip need to be looked for. I would also get MRI Lumbar spine to rule out pinching of the nerve root.Wish you well.Best