Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

There. I've been feeling tired so a year ago I went to my

Customer Question

Hi there. I've been feeling tired so a year ago I went to my doctors to discover I have thyroid problems. both my parents have it and dad needed chemotherapy due to thyroid cancer.
I was told to take 50g of thyroxine but when taking them I became very unwell with neck ache, chest pain, headaches. I told my gp, and she said just take one instead, no change! She didn't seem that worried which was upsetting.
I did some research on the net to find different brands may make a difference. I changed brand and seemed to be ok, the doctor said that my levels have now evened out and to continue with my course. However I still feel tired, no different from a year ago.
A friend asked if I'd seen a specialist, or had a thyroid scan....she said I should demand a scan esp with my family history.
I guess I'm writing this this for a second opinion. It was only 4 weeks ago when my doctor said I've evened out. Should I ask for a scan or am I being over cautious.
Chris
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please let me know what the level of your recent TSH is, if you remember? and when was it done?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't say. It was done by phone. And said it was ok. I don't feel any different. And still just as tired than even
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
#Ever
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.I think that if your symptoms have not improved in spite of your thyroid hormone levels being normal then other causes must be considered and ruled out and the thing that would come right at the top, considering that you already have a thyroid condition is low cortisol levels.Low thyroid hormones is most commonly due to an autoimmune problem i.e. Hashimoto's and this can be associated with low cortisol due to Addison's disease, which again is an autoimmune problem that I would like to consider and rule out by testing if that has not already been done.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards