Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have symptoms of genital herpes, having been in a faithful

I have symptoms of genital herpes, having been in a faithful marriage for 11 years. I understand the virus can lay dormant for many years, but I am doubting my wife's fidelity now. I do have a huge strain on myself at the moment due to financial concerns. Before I confront my wife I would like to know the chances of this happening with no infidelity - pls advise. Thanks
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloI amCustomerand I would be assisting you with your concerns today.Did you suffer from genital herpes anytime before this episode?Did your wife suffer from it anytime before?If yes how long back?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - no this is the first time. I have had redness and itching before but always put it down to thrush. My wife has not had it as far as I know
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.Before taking any step in this direction it is imperative that your wife should be tested for antibodies to herpes.This test has a negative predictive value.It means that if she is negative she is not the source of infection.There would be no reason to suspect her fidelity in that case.If she has antibodies to herpes virus it means that she has been exposed to the virus anytime during her previous life.The antibody cannot tell if the exposure has been recent or old.A person can remain asymptomatic carrier and keep shedding the virus for life without realizing that he/she has herpes infection.Therefore you cannot confront her on infidelity because you have developed herpes lesions now.Either of the partners could have been a carrier till now.This is my initial answer.If you need any clarification please reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is helpful. So the stress I am under has likely caused the outbreak now?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
That is one probability.Otherwise breakout can occur without any apparent reason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that I have had it all these years and not passed on to her?? I was just re reading your point about testing for antibodies above. Namely that she could test negative and so not be the carrier.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
If you have been having unprotected intercourse transmission of infection is likely if you have been a carrier for many years.If intercourse has been protected it is possible that she has not been infected.