Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am constantly clearing my throat and swallowing as i have

I am constantly clearing my throat and swallowing as i have mucus at the back which gives me a sensation of something being stuck. The doctor gave me antibiotics which have made no difference and some Lansoprazole gastro-resistant tablets but this has made no difference over the last 7 days. It started about 4-5 weeks ago and is driving me mad! Its ok when i first wake up and then is constantly there throughout the day and i am conscious of my constant swallowing. My wife thinks the clearing of my throat may be stress related and its driving her mad. Any suggestions, i am due to go back to my doctor in about a weeks time.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
this is Dr. Davidit sounds like you have runny nose and post nasal drip and swallowing of mucus.this can be from allergic sinusitis causing you runny nosethis can be treated by you taking over the counter allergy medications like Allegra, Claritin or Zyrtec which you can buy over the counter.also you should talk to your doctor about using a steroid nasal spray like Nasonex or Flonase or Nasocort or Rhinocort nasal sprays dailyover time, this will help decrease your runny nose mucus and post nasal dripand this will help you stop having to cough and clear your throat.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But i dont have a runny nose!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
all of the mucus from your nose is running down the back of your throat. and you are swallowing it it sounds likethis is called post nasal drip.