How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18781
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Please could you provide information to support my husband.

Customer Question

Please could you provide information to support my husband. He suffers from erectile disfunction but drinks 1/2 bottle of gin with a bottle or two of wine and has ta***** *****apan daily for 2 months.
I do not know the unit measurement for 1/2 bottle of gin and one or two bottles of wine coupled with the impact that diazapan must have.
Please could you advise?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I am not sure what you mean by information to support your husband, but what would be usually advised in this situation is more clear. It certainly is true that significant alcohol consumption, by itself, can cause erectile dysfunction. However, when this happens, the unit measurement is not an issue, as the usual recommendation would be to completely stop alcohol intake to see if erectile function returns. Stopping may involve tapering or suddenly stopping or using medical detox. The route to stopping can vary according to the individual, but the goal would be completely stopping. It is also true that the erectile dysfunction from alcohol can occur by two possible mechanisms. It could be due to a direct toxic effect of the alcohol, so may improve relatively quickly once the alcohol is out of the system. It also could be due to a neuropathy from the alcohol intake, and this problem may still improve with abstinence, but it will typically take much longer. Erectile dysfunction is not a common side effect to diazepam, but it can occur. Analysis of the impact of diazepam is complicated because the conditions that are usually treated with diazepam, such as anxiety, are common causes of erectile dysfunction. Statistically, it is far more likely that the alcohol intake is a major factor of the erectile dysfunction, so the usual advice is to completely stop alcohol intake. Is this the information that you are seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is, I will explain; we got married last year and in May I became ill with kidney failure and due to medication I asked for a divorce. My husband then went onto Diazapan from his GP for anxiety, he met a woman online and drank two bottles of wine and 1/2 bottle of gin. The woman ran out of the house 3 hours after consential sex which failed due to erectile disfunction, she told a neighbour that he had frightened her and they called the police and they asked whether there was anything else and she said yes he had raped her, which he had not. There is no forensic evidence but because I gave a statement as told he raped someone and there was evidence (which is a lie). I need some medical evidence that the amount of alcohol consumed together with diazapan would make it impossible for him to get an errection. The woman is an alcholic and was drunk too, she had liver failure and attended something called Turning Point. My husband is on remand due to my statement which I have retracted and given written letter from my doctor to confirm I was not of sound mind to give, comprehend or sign a statement at that time in December 2015. I am visiting my husband twice a week and if he was guilty it would be easier to admit guilt but he did not do this at all. I know historically, if he drank he suffered from erectille disfunction and we bought viagra to overcome this problem. This is an injustice and makes a mockery of poor women who are genuinely raped, this woman wants compensation.
Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
There is no medical study that shows that everyone that drinks this amount of alcohol will have erectile dysfunction. Although alcohol consumption is a common cause of erectile dysfunction, it is not true that high levels of alcohol consumption will always cause erectile dysfunction. There are studies that show that several types of sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction, are more likely to occur at higher amounts of alcohol intake, but there is no level at which 100% of men get erectile dysfunction. It is also true that many men with erectile dysfunction can have more than one factor that is affecting erectile function. So, a man with vascular disease may develop erectile dysfunction with lower amounts of alcohol intake than a man without vascular disease. But even in men with other risk factors for erectile dysfunction, it cannot be said that a certain amount of alcohol intake will always cause erectile dysfunction. If he has had chronic problems with erectile dysfunction related to alcohol consumption, and has a medical history of the use of Viagra for treatment, then documentation from his doctor may be sufficient for the evidence that is needed. And if medical visit was before the incident, that would show that the problem existed before the incident. Of course, his attorney should be consulted for a legal opinion on whether this would be good evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr LoveThank you for that; I am not sure that he mentioned ED to his GP we just bought some viagra online and it worked. Unfortunately, his solicitor is not proactive in seeking information and I do not think medical records have been requested, maybe this should be done.I would have thought without any forensic evidence or otherwise and the fact they were both drunk on alcohol consumed all day and night this should be thrown out. There should have been some kind of medical on my husband at the time but this was not carried out.Stuck on what to look at next but thank you for your help.All the best
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
He can check with his doctor to see whether this has been documented in the medical record. It does not need an attorney to check the medical record. An attorney will need to be involved for the medical records to be formally introduced as evidence, but an initial review of the medical record can be done by the patient. Unfortunately, there are many examples of drunk men committing rape, so the claim will not be thrown out solely because he was drunk