Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My dad keeps having a heart rate of between 32-35 bpm. He is

My dad keeps having a heart rate of between 32-35 bpm. He is 88 yrs of age. He is currently on 10mg ramipril and indapamide 1.5mg. He was on 10mg amlodipine but I read that it lowers the heart rate so I advised him to stop taking. He feels well in himself currently. Could you tell me how dangerous this rate is and what can be done to increase it.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.A rate of less than 60 beats per minute is known as bradycardia. A lower heart rate is not dangerous so as long as the heart is strong enough to pump the required amount of blood in fewer beats. Like in athletes, the heart rate is always lower. However, in your father's case, it might be a side effect of the medication that he is taking for his blood pressure. But discontinuing an anti hypertensive should not be done at home and without consultation of the doctor. These are necessary to maintain the blood pressure and if stopped, can result in hypertension, sometimes a rebound effect. I would suggest that you have your father visit his GP, get his baseline tests done including an ECG of the heart and a referral to the Cardiologist is made, the cardiologist will decide whether the low heart rate is due to medication side effect and if so will either decrease the dosage or substitute it with another medication.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice. My dad is currently holidaying with me from overseas. Are you able to recommend a private Cardioligist that we could visit who is not too far from where I live. I live in Croydon, South West London. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.I can't really recommend a cardiologist there since I haven't worked in London. However, you can check with the University hospital in Croydon and they might be able to help you out.Regards.