Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a cyst on my ovary causing spotting. I had a scan this

Customer Question

I have a cyst on my ovary causing spotting. I had a scan this week and booking a follow up scan in 6 weeks.
I am 45 and I am slightly overweight 165 cm 75kg, trying to lose weight but as I get older, I feel anything I eat makes me gain weight, even salad. I eat a balance diet and enjoy healthy food, no junk food, walk every day at least half hour and cycle toof regularly.
I have multiple cysts in my breast (also had ultrasound to check they are benign)
I monitor my blood pressure since it tends to be on the high side 140-90 sometime, however exercising helps a lot. There is high blood pressure history on both sides of my family. I do not take any high blood pressure medication yet.
I tried several pills over 10 years ago but it made me put on a lot of weight. I also tried the contraceptive injection but it was the same.
What contraceptive pill would you recommend to reduce the formation of cyst but would not make me put on weight or have negative effect on my blood pressure.
I am only considering the pill to help with the cyst. I do not need to worry about contraception.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Have you had your thyroid hormones checked recently or in the past?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have regular blood test, no problem other than iron level. I have to take ferrous sulfate. Stopping spotting would reduce blood lost.
I suffer from migraine, usually starting on day 3 of my periods for 3 days. My GP prescribed imigran last month and it worked, the migraine stopped
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There are two OCPs that are not known to cause weight gain which are Yaz and Yasmin. So either one can be given in your case but choose the one that has the minimal possible estrogen i.e. around 20 mg to max 30 mg because of your history of migraine which can be worsened by higher estrogen dose.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end, when you are done asking.Kindest regards