Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Should I be worried if I have Beau's lines on my fingernai

Customer Question

Should I be worried if I have Beau's lines on my fingernails?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please post a picture or two for me to see.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just taken this photo on my computer, so its not the best photo, but you can see the problem. Looks worse on right hand on the third and fourth finger. Visible on thumb on right hand also but not as much as third and fourth finger. On left hand slightly visible on thumb and third and fourth finger but mot as much as the right hand. If my fingers look funny, its because I am double jointed, so cant straighten like normal fingers, thats not a problem just the nails.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.Since how long are you having this problem?Please mention your age.Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only really noticed it a few weeks ago. I am 42.
No other medical problems that I know off, other than having on and off symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did read somewhere today about reactions to cold weather, I do suffer from chilblains in winter, but it hasn't been particularly cold this year, so don't think its that. I have also been suffering from stress, so dont know if that is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i meant 43
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.These lines/ridges are not something that I would worry about at all in your case since you are healthy otherwise.So, just relax and take a chill pill :)This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end, when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I wasn't healthy, since you don't know whether I am or not, what else could it suggest?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If you have had recent tests done like in the past six months and those were normal then I would not worry.If you were not healthy and having heart disease or liver disease or diabetes or pneumonia among other respiratory infections, these all could cause beau's lines.However I do not think that you have any of these conditions.If you have not had a blood workup or have not been evaluated recently i.e. in the past six months, I would recommend that you should have yourself evaluated.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had any tests. How would I know if I was suffering from any of the above? Are there any other symptoms, I should me aware off?Unlikely to visit a doctor, hence asking someone online. Severe stress has now caused agoraphobia, so relax and take a chill pill not going to work in this instance.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes you would be having yellow eyes, fatigue, loss of appetite i.e. liver disease, for heart disease you would have shortness of breath on exertion or swelling of the lower limbs.But I am sure this is your anxiety that is getting the better of you and nothing else.I would appreciate a rating by clicking on one of the rating options if possible.Regards