Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been told I have degredation in the discs to my neck

Customer Question

I have been told I have degredation in the discs to my neck (not sure if this is just like getting grey hair or anything else). I get sick with neck pain,neck stiffness, pinching on collarbone a sports therapist said I have thoracic outlet syndrome, I have weakness in my hands and hypermobility in my joints.
My question is, could these be what are causing the symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, degradation of the discs in the neck, also called degenerative disc disease, could be the cause of many of your symptoms, particularly the neck pain and stiffness. In fact, this is the most common cause of chronic neck pain. The disc disease also could be causing the weakness in your hands and the pinching on collar bone, but these symptoms also could be caused by the thoracic outlet syndrome. The hypermobility of the joints, though, is typically not related to the disc disease or the thoracic outlet syndrome. In most people, hypermobility is just the way that they are, and it is not a disease process, although more extreme hypermobility may be a connective disease disorder. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the answer, I have been told bits here and there and found it rather confusing.
You are very welcome.