Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

There, I am writing to ask is there is any gaging the

Hi there,
I am writing to ask is there is any gaging the likelihood of me having a steroid withdrawal if I halt all steroid use.
I have been using steroids since October last year, when i went on a 5 day oral course of prednisolone for my wide spread eczema due to a histamine intolerance. Since last October I had a break from useing for some time until December when I went on a 10 week course of cortisone steroids.
I was given 4 tubes of 100g Betamethasone ointment to use over 10 weeks whilst i was away abroad. I the 8 remaining weeks of the course i was prescribed to only apply the steroids twice a week, this unfortunately did not happen. I was often applying the ointment as much as 5 times a week from Late December to mid march. I would put the ointment on around 70% of my body including my face. Be this as may, I have yet to use the full amount of steroid prescribed to me.
Since arriving back home on the 27th of march I had flare up 3 days in to being steroid free and have been prescribed another 5 day course of oral steroids. I am contemplating stopping steroids as I'm worried it could only worsen my chances of coming off the steroids for good.
Though the question maybe hard or even impossible to answer, any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you and I look forward to your response,
George
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
George, can you tell me what dose of steroids you have been taking orally and for now long? Just oral. Not topical
Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I apprecaite itIf you have more questions, just reply