Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I went to the dentist yesterday as i had toothache, i was told

i went to the dentist yesterday as i had toothache, i was told i had a hole and would fill with temporay filling and further examination needed more treatment on other teeth and would need to come back next week.
During the evening the pain in my tooth got worse and even taking painkillers did not work, i could not sleep because of the pain and the only relief i got was to swill my mouth with water which dulled the pain for a few minutes.
This morning i phoned the emergency dentist and he advised that the filling was probably had antibiotics in it and would probably take 24 - 48 hrs to settle and just take pain killers and use salted water as a mouth wash, but i cannot take any more painkillers as i have my quota for 24 hrs and the pain is getting worse i dont know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
What kind of pain killer have you taken and at what dose?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panadol extra advance 500mg, i have take two every 4 hrs since 21:30 last night
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.You can take ibuprofen (nurofen) in addition to panadol extra as it can be used in combination and it is safe to take.So I would recommend taking nurofen at the moment for your pain.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options stars) at your end, when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to take something as the panadol did not have any effect and the only relief i am getting as i mentioned was swilling my mouth with water which dull the pain for a few minutes then it came back . I already have taken 8 tablets over a 12 hr period is it safe to keep taking longer.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You have reached the maximum dose of panadol extra, you cannot take any more over the next twelve hours but can take more after a total period of twenty four hours has passed since you started taking it. In the meantime you can take nurofen.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options stars) at your end, when you are done asking.Kindest regards