Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My child is wheezing immediately after having his formula milk.

My child is wheezing immediately after having his formula milk. He also has eczema and vomits and has lot of wind. He has trouble when feeding becoming aggitated and irritable- doesn't settle. Could he have a milk allergy? GP continually saying he has a virus He is 6 mths and I first took him to GP when he was 8 weeks old after I had been breast feeding and he has had suffering like this since.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.If he had allergy or intolerance to the milk he would be having diarrhea as well along with vomiting.Allergy would also cause hives as well.However I still think that the symptoms that you are mentioning could be related to possible intolerance of milk and I would change to another formula which suits the child in a better way.I would try giving him a lactose free formula to see if that would help with his symptoms.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options stars) at your end, when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, is there any chAnce a lactose intolerance could cause the wheezing? As all vital stats are fine it is just the wheezing.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could cause wheezing.Also, repeated vomiting can also result in wheezing.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options stars) at your end, when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it isnt a intolernce to the milk is there anything else that could explain a constant wheeze,cough and sneezing in him?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
It could be environmental allergy and generally children of this age would grow out of such allergies as they grow older.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a cat is there any chance it could be that even though he still wheezes when he isnt around the cat? And there is also a family history of asthma?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Family history of asthma is an important factor that could mean that he is having allergy to environmental agents.Having a cat around could possibly be a factor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could i easily get him
Tested for allergies? Or would it just be a trail and error situation?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Not easy at his age.I would wait for him to get older.I personally think that as he gets older he will start to feel better gradually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to finish what would you advise i do to help him and possibly help improve the wheezing and symptoms at this time
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
At his age antihistamines are usually not given until absolutely necessary because of the possible side effect of breathing problems associated with it.I would just wait. The wheezing should gradually improve as he gets older.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank yoi
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.Wish you all the best.Kindest regards