Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a very bad pain on my right side level with my bust,

Customer Question

I have a very bad pain on my right side level with my bust, the pain is on the side and towards the back. I have had a virus and am on amoxicillin , been on them for three days .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.It will help if you could provide some further information.How long have you had this pain?Have you tried any medicines for the pain, such as antacids?Is there any tenderness when you press in the area of the pain?Is there any rash that has developed ?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. The most common cause of pain in the right chest at the level of the breast that is worse with eating is from inflammation in the esophagus from acid reflux. It is also possible to have pain related to a muscle disorder of the esophagus, such as esophageal spasm, although this is much less common. If you have not yet tried any medicines to ease the symptoms, then it would be reasonable to first try a liquid antacid. Long term management is usually better accomplished with a medicine that suppresses stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. It is also possible to have chest pain related to musculoskeletal inflammation in the rib cage, and when this the cause of the pain, there will typically be an area of tenderness when pressing on the chest. Doctors are usually better able to eleicit the typical tenderness, but if the patient can elicit tenderness, that would support that it is from musculoskeletal inflammation. If this is present, then the usual treatment would be an oral anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Another consideration when someone with a recent infection complains of pain along the chest at the level of the breast would be shingles. It is not typical for shingles to be worse with eating. However, many cases of shingles are precipitated by an acute infection, and involvement of one side of the chest is a common location for shingles. The pain of shingles will frequently occur first, and then a rash develop and worsen over the next few days. There are medicines that can be used for shingles, and work better when started early in the course of shingles, but these are only available by prescription, so it would be better to be seen by your doctor if there is any rash developing. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.