DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

DoctorIm running out of ideas of how to handle the

Hi DoctorIm running out of ideas of how to handle the situation with my wife. She gets really agree and starts banging her head on the wall, hitting herself with a show and basically head butting anything in sight. I will then restrain her to try and stop her doing any more harm to herself and she will then scratch my face. She tends to be more angry when she is drunk, she will scratch and hit herself in the face and it looks like its out of frustration. She is very jealous and when we are out I have to look at the floor purposely if there is any ladies in the location where we are walking. The problem is she will not take any counselling. I have spoken to a counselor myself and apparently im experiencing domestic abuse from her. But it doesn't feel like this , its more that she has something wrong and I want to help and support her. I am concerned when she bangs her head on the wall and just looking for advice as to what signs there are to see if she is doing anything to herself internally from the head banging?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiTo answer your medical question.There can be some minor damage every time she bangs here head on the wall.There might not be any signs for years.Alternatively, she can injure herself severely during any of these episodes, causing concussion, bleed into the brain, skull fracture, etc. Symptoms such as severe headache, dizziness and unclear thinking, nausea, vomitting and drowsiness might become apparent at that point.You need to see a family therapist who is highly trained, not just a counselor.You are describing pathology that is not any where near normal, and not something you can handle on your own just through support and the fact that you love your wife.Your wife can probably be involuntarily admitted to the hospital for assessment for several days if you are concerned that she is a danger to herself during this behavior.Discuss this with the therapist as well. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response Doctor Its very difficult to sit down and discuss anything with her, Im scared that the discussion may trigger another episode of head banging etc. Every time I say lets get some help she just flatly refuses, if I went behind her back and spoke to the therapist I think she would leave me and I dont want this. having said that I know the answer is to take this further and therefore I will speak with a therapist. Many thanks for your answer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome anytime.The therapists communications with you are confidential.You should work with the therapists to overcome the problems you have with doing the right thing.At some point you are going to have to develop and set your boundaries, and this will be best for you both. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanksI am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.