Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had pneumonia in January and February and the cough was brutal

Customer Question

I had pneumonia in January and February and the cough was brutal and since it calmed down the pain in my chest which I thought was rib has remained, the cough is worst in the mornings and after eating and my stool has been bright yellow. I can't sleep without 3 pillows and can't excercise from the chest pain. I'm worried the strong chronic cough has caused something in my body to go wrong as I know strong coughs can - should I be worried? I developed vocal cord spasm due to the cough but it keeps happening when I talk or eat etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been to the doctors, I got an inhaler and nasal spray and PPI to take twice a day. I took 4 courses of antibiotics plus a lot of medicines during my infections too.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Although it is possible that someone could develop some complications from the cough, itself, such as musculoskeletal inflammation in the chest wall or a chronic muscle strain, it is actually more of a concern that there could be a complication from the pneumonia. The could be damage to the lung structure, such as bronchiectasis, or inflammation of the airways. Since there is a worsening of the cough after eating, that would be more worrisome for acid reflux or from a weakness of the muscles involved in swallowing. At this point, it appears that you doctor is treating you for inflammation in the airways, with the inhalers and nose sprays, and for acid reflux, with the PPIs. Another option for the musculoskeletal problems would be a trial of an anti-inflammatory medicine, although we would rather wait until any acid irritation syndrome is controlled. If these medicines work, that would be fine, but if these medicines do not work, I would be more concerned about the potential damage to the lungs. The usual next step would be a consultation with a lung specialist, a Pulmonologist, who can perform further evaluation of the lungs, such as a bronchosscopy. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know whether I can provide any further assistance.