Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partner is a 36 year old male, tall and not overweight,

My partner is a 36 year old male, tall and not overweight, with 3 instances of collapsed lung in the past, and both lungs operated on for this last year.
For the last 10 days he has been very 'washed out' - we had a house move last week and since that day he has had heart palpitations, a feeling of congestion in his left lung and a mild, infrequent cough, along with a stuffiness in his nose, but no cold symptoms other than that. He sleeps badly now, and oddly, is urinating more - getting up twice in the night. There is no pain or any other symptoms to suggest a collapsed lung, the symptoms of which he knows well, and he is still cycling daily though he finds it harder to get going on his bike rides than before. Despite the lung history he is usually a fit and healthy person despite being a smoker, very rarely ill but now he just seems to be getting more and more tired, pale and washed out with every day. He can't get an appointment with his GP, each day he phones and they are full. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidabnormal thyroid hormone levels or hyperthyroidism can cause poor sleep and heart palpitations and weight lossseasonal allergies can cause runny nose and post nasal drip and cough. this can be helped by over the counter allergy medications like allegra, claritin, zyrtec and steroid nasal sprays.inflammation or infection of the prostate called prostatitis can cause the prostate to swell and cause slower urine streams and more frequent urination at night time. cycling frequently with thin bike seats can sometimes cause inflammation of the prostate gland. sometimes a course of antibiotics can calm down prostate inflammationhe should try to find another GP doctor who is easier to get to see to get these conditions tested for. let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - so it might be a number of things and not all one cause? I'm not sure about the hay fever as he's never had it before, and re: the thyroid he's not lost weight as such, he's always been really thin, but if it doesn't sound to you like a chest infection or a lung problem then my biggest worry is dealt with. I'll tell him to ask for a thyroid test when he eventually gets to the doctors. The prostate thing we hadn't considered - Is there any way for him to tell for himself if his prostate is enlarged? I didn't connect it with this but a few months ago he had a long time with an ache in that area, which was made worse by his bike rides. The ache is stopped now but do you think even without the ache it could be prostate? Thanks,
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the ache could be due to prostatitis infection. the only way is to get blood test to check PSA levels and a doctor's finger rectal exam to feel the prostate gland.it doesn't sound like he has a collapsed lung now.he does need to get into see a GP doctor to get these issues tested forlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com