Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

My granddaughter is 7 and has recently become very concerned

My granddaughter is 7 and has recently become very concerned about the effect of germs. She becomes very afraid if she touches anything including her clothes and washes her hands many, many times a day.Also she told me she wanted to squeeze these frightening thoughts out of her head. Please can you help me to help her.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
This would not be an unusual age for the beginning of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder.) Has she been demonstrating any other unusual behaviors or showing any unusual neurological signs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isobel was persuaded by her parents to give up her comforter, a beaker at night time. I realise that 7 is rather late to still need it but it helped her to get to sleep. She lives with her Dad at weekends and mummy daughter during the week. My daughter has a new boyfriend who is an old friend of the family. He will be moving in at the end of the month and Isobel is aware of the changes. Isobel is a sociable child but does have a strong tendency to play with her toys on her own. She goes into a world all her own and has a vivid imagination. She is afraid of many things.Do you think it would be wise for Isobel to have her comforter returned to her? Jane.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
We all have comforters of one sort or another. Why not let her decide when to give it up...and she will...or at least put it aside when she is ready. This can be a form of putting one's faith in a child. Children typically respond well when adults they care about put their faith in them.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Fears are common at this age, particularly in an environment that is changing or confusing. If one is standing on shifting sands, one tends to get a little scared at any age, don't you think.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Given the distressing nature of her fears, however, she should not have to face them without professional help. I would strongly suggest she be taken to her pediatrician and have an evaluation. If she does have a condition such as OCD developing (and it is much more common than the public knows), she should have a thorough evaluation and get on a treatment plan before it gets worse and she gets better at hiding it.