Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I gave my partner about a week ago and have since

Customer Question

I gave my partner cunnilingus about a week ago and have since had a very sore throat which has spread to my chest. Also upset stomach (gurgling) and nausea/headache/earache.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today. It is very rare for an infection to be transmitted to the throat via cunnilingus. The common germs that can affect the throat are typically not harbored in the female genitalia. It is possible for certain sexually transmitted germs to infect the throat, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, but it is actually very rare for this transmission to occur via cunnilingus. And if the two of you are in a monogamous relationship, it would be even less likely. Certainly, it is possible that this is a common throat infection and it is a coincidence that this developed after this sexual act. The only other possible mechanism of illness that could cause these symptoms after cunnilingus would be if there was initially an allergic reaction or other sensitivity. This could cause inflammation of the mouth or throat, and then the inflamed area could become secondarily infected, which would then cause the symptoms that spread to your chest. The most common germs to cause these symptoms would be a viral infection. There are actually many different viruses that can cause these symptoms, but they act similarly, so we typically group them together when discussing these infections. The vast majority of throat infections in 50 year olds are viral infections, and viral infections can spread to a bronchitis or gastroenteritis. The ear ache can be related to swelling in the throat or from secondary infection in the ear. Viral infections will typically resolve spontaneously, so the usual approach is interventions for relief of symptoms. A sore throat could be due to Strep, but this is less common as people age, and it is not common for Strep to spread to the chest. It is possible that there could be a mixed infection, although not common, but if the sore throat is more severe or is associated with a significant fever or swollen lymph nodes, it would be appropriate to be seen for a Strep test. Otherwise, it would be appropriate to use medicines to ease symptoms, such as throat lozenges, numbing throat sprays, paracetamol, and cough syrups, if the chest infection is causing much cough. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you wold like my assistance with any future question, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/