Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Love. Are you available question? Many thanks,

Customer Question

Hi Dr Love.
Are you available for a question?
Many thanks,
Claire.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
I am online and available now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Doctor.I just wanted to ask your opinion on something.
I use a food steamer for my babies meals and recently I had an incident where I used the steamer on top of the hob as I use the extractor fan. But stupidly one of the hobs was left on slightly and it has melted a part of the outer casing on the bottom. It looks to be only on the surface. I have phoned the company for advice who say as long as it is working it'll be safe to use as it wouldn't work if the melted part was more than just on the surface. But my concern is around bpa really as it is plastic and as I use this for food I was concerned about the bpa being carried in the steam to the food due to the damage so I'm a bit worried about continuing to use it.do you have any advice you can give me on this?
Many thanks.
Claire.
There would be no concern about BPA being carried into the food via steam in this situation. If there is food in contact with BPA containing plastic that melts while the food is in contact, that would be a concern, and it would be reasonable to discard any such food. But in the situation that you describe, there is no reason for concern. As for continuing to use it, as long as it is working well, I agree that that would indicate that it was only a superficial damage, and there would be no reason for concern with ongoing use. It is worth noting that all plastics are heated and cooled in the process of molding into the desired shapes. So, this entire product was heated and cooled at one point before you started using it. If I can provide any additional information.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you doctor. Yes I was thinking that myself that the unit itself gets hot everytime it is in use. I was just worried as I would of raised the temperature even more with the heat coming up from the hob. It looks as though it has melted away part of the foot and sticker on the bottom outer casing and in the middle there are tiny vent holes and it looks as tho it has melted inside that slightly to open the hole up completely so it must of melted some plastic away. That was my concern that if the chemicals carried up through inside the unit where the heated element is that sits in the water tray that then creates the steam that goes up into the basket where the food sits. But do you think that's ok? Do you mean it's only a concern if the food was touching melting plastic?
Sorry hope this all
Makes sense.
I would not be concerned in this situation, although I would be concerned if food was touching the melting plastic.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No there wasn't any food touching melting plastic. I know your not an electrician doctor but should I be concerned about any toxins that could of been carried if any of the wires or element ect were hotter than they should have been ? It's just when I used the steamer it was on for an hour or so before I realised the hob was on .
There is no clinical evidence of risk in the medical literature. Stoves are designed to run for hours, such as when simmering a sauce for the entire day, and there is no identified medical risk associated with using stoves in this manner.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see thank you and do you think this would apply to this unit even though it wasn't for its intended use to be heated from the bottom by accident .
Not this new statement, the only thing that applies to this situation is the original statement.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry could you explain that to me. Should I be worried about any toxins from the inside parts do you mean if it doesn't apply.
The statement about the stove only applies to the stove, which was used today as intended, but not to the plastic device, which was not used as intended.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so do you think it might not be safe then to continue to use it Incase any toxins are given off due to the heat from the hob.
I answered that above.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry so you mean it is safe if working properly and no risk of toxins even if it wasn't used accurately unlike the stove situation.
The statement applies to this situation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just sent a couple of pictures of the shelves on which the food sits. The first picture doctor is a shelf which I haven't used yet whereas the second is one that I have been using. Can you see the shape change like an eye shape? Should I be concerned that it has melted or I think it might be general use that has done that?
There is nothing in the pictures that would change the above answer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry actually that 1st picture was one of the top side where the food sits and the 2nd is the underside. In the spare shelf that I haven't used yet it is more of a prominent circle so the shape has changed to an eye shape. I think this is due to general use but if this is signs of melting would it be a concern in regards ***** ***** coming into contact with the food.
The above answer still applies.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok can I just clarify that you mean this answer.
There would be no concern about BPA being carried into the food via steam in this situation. If there is food in contact with BPA containing plastic that melts while the food is in contact, that would be a concern, and it would be reasonable to discard any such food. But in the situation that you describe, there is no reason for concern.
Correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually doctor I just remembered that the trays I sent you pictures of are bpa free. I made sure of that when I purchased it but I know that doesn't mean they don't use other harmful chemicals does it?
There are other chemicals that may be in plastics, but the answer would be the same for the other chemicals.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see thank you.
I do feel reassured to continue using it after speaking with yourself and the company who I purchased it from. I just wondered though doctor what made me think of the concern about bpa being carried to the food within the steam was that I'd read not to re heat food ect in plastic tubs but to use glass instead That's why I worried it maybe due to the heating process and chemicals circulating in the steam or heat. But as long as there's no concern within my scenario I don't need to think about this do I .
Yes, but the food is in contact with the plastic in that situation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes so do they say not to use plastic to reheat Incase the plastic should melt into the food. Is that the main reason.
It would be more accurate to say that it may release chemicals into the food.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see. Is that because it's actually in contact with the food then.whereas even though the steam from the steamer was in contact with the food and will of risen up from the melting plastic it wouldn't be the same concern is that a correct interpretation.
Yes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for delay doctor.
Lovely thank you for advice. Can I just Clarify when you said earlier "the statement applies "were you meaning this statement that I said ...." Sorry so you mean it is safe if working properly and no risk of toxins even if it wasn't used accurately unlike the stove situation."
Correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok lovely thank you. And when the food was cooking and the plastic was melting without me realising. Would that of been safe still just thinking bout other toxins besides bpa as I didn't realise what had happened till later .
I answered that above.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see I just wanted to check it was safe when it was happening in regards ***** ***** food as well as further use as I did give her the food still as I hadn't realised till after I just wanted to check the parts wouldn't have given off anything due to the extra heat.
I understand that you are asking, which I also understood when I answered it above.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you doctor and would you say that the info in regards ***** ***** being no risk with either bpa or other toxins is evidence based.
It is based on there being no clinical evidence of risk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok but what I mean is. Is it safe to say we know these toxins such as bpa wouldn't be carried in the steam to the food. It's just I thought if somebody got ill it would be hard to pin point it to this type of scenario wouldn't it and therefore they may not be any clinical evidence.
We can only say what the clinical evidence says, and there is no clinical evidence of risk. You can postulate thousands of potential risks for which there is no clinical evidence, but there is no value in such postulation other than scaring yourself. Instead, you should focus on the areas in which there is evidence of risk. There is plenty of identified risks to keep every parent quite busy.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes that is very true I understand. But would you say that it would be known that bpa isn't a concern in this situation due to study?
Nobody can know what is not known.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I understand that but I'm just concerned that if its not known if the steam can carry bpa or other toxins how can I be reassured that it won't of caused harm with the melting plastic when it was in use and that it is safe for further use?
If you cannot be reassured that there is no clinical evidence of risk, then you cannot be reassured, because that is the best that can be done. There will never be a study done on thousands or millions of children that are intentional exposed to a particular chemical or situation to be able to say that there is no risk from that chemical or situation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I do understand that but am I right to think then that if scenarios like this were cause for concern then it would of come to light through clinical evidence. Is that how you can say there is no risk in this situation.
To be able to say that, it would require that someone know what is not known, and as I said above, nobody can know what is not known. Or it would require knowledge that there will never again be any clinical evidence of risk discovered in the future, which is another way of saying that it is known that there is nothing else that is not known relating to clinical risk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I am confused now. I feel in a quandary as to whether your saying the unit would be safe to carry on using? I felt reassured that you could tell me there was no risk initially but now I feel you maybe saying there could be risks that are not known and that makes me cautious about using it. I think it's due to my fear around endocrine disruption and cancer being caused by chemicals and if I use this everyday for her it could be a risk in causing that?
There is no confusion here. There is a refusal on your part to accept the limitations of knowledge. I have consistently told you that there is no clinical evidence of risk. There are always the possibility of risks that are not yet known. You have repeatedly asked me to comment upon whether it may be found to be a risk in the future, and I have repeatedly told you that nobody can know what is currently unknown. Note that this is true for every method that you could choose to feed you child, and it is obviously not an option to not feed your child. You can only make decisions on what information is currently known. If you cannot be reassured by current knowledge, then you cannot be reassured.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I haven't meant to repeatedly ask you about future risk. What I have wanted to feel clear on is that if your saying there is no risk, is thjs because doctors or scientist like you know that toxins or bpa wouldn't be carried in this way and is that how you could tell me quite clearly that it would be only be a concern if it is touching the food?
There is no clinical evidence of risk in this situation, by any method by which clinical evidence can be acquired.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Doctor I feel your talking in riddles to me and not really answering what I am specifically asking and I'm finding it difficult to get to the bottom of what your telling me. Could you opt out and pass on to another expert please.
What part of "there is no clinical evidence" is a riddle?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I feel like in the beginning of our conversation you were very clear and prompt in telling me that there was no concern in this scenario and the unit is safe to use. But surely if it is not known if the steam could carry bpa ect how can it be deemed as safe?
Because there is no clinical evidence of risk. How do we know that the foods that you buy in a grocery store do not cause cancer or that the pesticides or fertilizers that farmers add to food do not cause cancer? Because there is no clinical evidence of risk. How do we know that cooking food in any pot in your house does not cause cancer? Because there is no clinical evidence of risk. If you live your life worrying about risks for which there is no clinical evidence of risk, then you will go crazy.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes but it sounded like you were saying there is no clinical risk because the information could not be obtained in this particular situation not because it has been shown not to be a risk of that makes sense.
We cannot perform a study that proves that it is not a risk, as that would require the study on thousands and millions of children that I noted above would be impossible. The same is true of a study to prove that certain pesticides or fertilizers do not cause cancer. So, since we cannot actively prove that something is not a risk, we can only make judgments based on what clincal evidence exists, and there is no clinical evidence of risk. I will note that the difficulty in proving whether something does or does not cause cancer is the reason that cigarette companies were able to claim for so long that there was no proof that cigarettes cause cancer, and cigarettes are one of the most cancer causing substances to which humans regularly come in contact. But we had other clinical evidence of the risk of cigarettes for decades.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So are you saying if something like this could cause cancer there would be some kind of clinical risk that would be apparent then as in the cigarette scenario?
I am saying that in the absence of clinical evidence indicating any risk, the only possible logical judgement is that it is safe You keep wording it is a way that cannot be stated. To be able to confirm what you are saying in this comment would mean that there would never again be clinical evidence of something having a cancer risk for which there is no current evidence of cancer risk, not only for this exposure, but for every substance to which you and your daughter are exposed, such as foods grown with pesticides or fertilizers. Or it would require knowledge of which exposures will be shown to have cancer risk in the future, and knowledge that this specific exposure will not be among them. To be able to say that would require knowledge of what we currently know, as well as what we will know in the future that is not currently known. And as I have said, nobody can known what is not known. I do not mean for this to be a riddle, but if you want any doctor to tell you that there will never be evidence of risk, you are asking that doctor to lie to you, not only about this exposure, but for every exposure that is currently considered safe. We can only make judgments based on current knowledge, and by current knowledge, there is no evidence of risk, so the only logical judgement is that it is safe.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do understand that you cannot tell me what may change in the future. But I wasn't asking that I have been trying to ask whether or not chemicals can be carried in such a way as I have described through the steam to the food. And I really wanted to find out why we know that bpa would be a concern if the food was touching the melting plastic and why it would not be a concern if carried through steam to the food along with any other toxins that could possibly be there from the damage and heating of the unit. I know that this particular scenario will not of been studied but it must of been studied and looked at about how chemicals cause harm ect and are carried am I right to think when we worry about cancers caused by chemicals we are told that it is years of chronic exposure that can cause this? That is my thought process really that if I continue to use this steamer everyday for food would that be the same as chronic exposure.im really hoping if I have exposed her to anything from the damage to the food that her liver will of got rid of any toxins so I'm trying not to worry about it. Am I right to think along these lines hopefully.
I have told you several times that there is no clinical evidence of risk from any potential toxin carried in the steam. Or more specifically, I first told you it was safe, and you then asked if it was evidence based, and I told you that it is based on the fact that there is no risk in the medical literature. However, the evidence that does exist concerning BPA in plastic is when the food is in contact with the plastic. Yes, the liver will clear toxins from the body, but that is true of toxins that cause cancer as well, such as the toxins in cigarette smoke. The absence of clinical evidence of risk is why you should not be concerned about any risk of cancer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes but am I right to think there could be abscence of clinical risk as it would be so difficult to pin point a cancer or anything to a situation like this. Rather then just assuming it is safe because there is no clinical evidence.
Yes, but that could also be said of any of the thousands of exposures that happen on a daily basis.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would this be classed as an exposure then or as I said earlier is it the chronic exposure that is concerning in regards ***** *****
This is an exposure, by definition. Everything in the environment is an exposure, which is why you are exposed to thousands of substances on a daily basis. Whether it is single exposure or chronic exposure would vary according to the individual and the circumstances involved. A single incident would be a single exposure. Multiple incidents would be a chronic exposure.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes so that is what I am thinking with something like this would it take years of exposure to the potential toxins for it to be a cancer concern
Yes, but there also is no clinical evidence of risk from chronic exposure of this type.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So what does that mean?
It means that there is no clinical evidence of risk to either single or chronic exposures of this type, which is why I have told you from the beginning that this incident is not a reason for concern.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok and do you think this is because if the damage was only superficial. There's no risk of toxins and bpa anyway even if the extra heat went through the unit.
The risk is not present because there is no evidence of clinical risk from steam carrying any toxins, not because of the damage being only superficial. If the damage included a part of the plastic that was in contact with the food, that would be a different situation, as I said from the beginning.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes and would you think that if it was possible for toxins to carry through steam that there would be some kind of clinical evidence. Not necessarily this scenario but that it would be shown somewhere that toxins could carry in this way I mean .
You are again asking me to predict future knowledge. To be able to say that there would currently be some kind of evidence is the same as saying that there will never be new findings that are not anticipated. There is no reason to think that this will prove to be a risk in the future, but there always can be new findings that are not anticipated.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I just mean surely there are established facts about toxins. Doctor I do wish to speak to another expert about this now please if you could kindly opt out. Not for them to tell me they can predict the future but to talk more clearly about it.
Yes. The established fact is that there is no clinical evidence of risk in this situation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As requested please could you kindly opt out so I can speak with another expert .
I have opted out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** expert automatically pick this up or does it have to be reposted?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's ok o have just seen that you have referred this on.
Many thanks.
Other experts can review it and decide whether they have anything to add to what I have already said.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will I be told doctor if this will not be picked up or does it just stay open?
You may do better to post a new question.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes I'm not sure they are going to answer me as has been over 48 hours now. Doctor I wanted to ask you that you know you said it would be a concern if the plastic has melted into the food . Well my husband said he cleaned up a tiny blob and a smear off of our hob but I think he may of done this with our cloth. I was than worried that if he then put this in our washing up bowl it could of transferred to other utensils without me noticing. Then if these were used with food again I'm concerned it could of got mixed in were her food or reheated. What would the concerns be with something like this.
I have answered your original question and many others. I will consider additional questions after you provide a positive rating for the answers that I have already provided.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok then I will do the rating now.
OK
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
There would not be any concern about transferring toxins later, as the plastic would have cooled by the time that the hob was washed. And then, even if the cloth had some cooled plastic in the wash water, the water would not have been hot enough to melt the plastic again. The process of washing and rinsing would have removed any particles of plastic that may have been transferred from the cloth to one of the other dishes. So, there is no reason to be concerned about this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you. I do worry though if the small blob had somehow got into any food that I was preparing to go in the oven again from the cloth (Say if it had stuck to a mixing dish without us noticing) and has then gone into the oven with other food. Would this small amount be of concern.
No.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I think it would be unlikely that this has happened and my mind running away with me. But if it was eaten in its melted form mixed with food would this be ok it wouldn't stick to her insides or anything like that.
No
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thankyou so when you said about food touching the melting plastic would it be a larger amount that would be of concern? I was concerned if it was eaten in a melted form the Toxins are released?
There would be a much larger portion of plastic that would be involved in that scenario.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see. Would that still be the case of it did get stuck anywhere and walled off if eaten. It was the size of a blob of chewing gum really.
It is unbelievable to think that a piece of plastic this size could have sneaked into the food without your awareness. But if so, all of our previous discussion about swallowed plastic foreign bodies would apply in this situation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you. I'm using the steamer as it seems to be working well and I noticed that where it had melted the water sits above it anyway above a sealed unit so it should be safe toxin wise I thought.
Correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you and yes I was thinking hopefully I would have noticed any pieces of plastic in the food. But my concern was if my husband had used the cleaning cloth to scrub off any reminence of the smear of plastic on the hob and then I used this cloth for cleaning work tops where I prepare food and for wiping dishes that's how I could of transferred it without realising. I do have the bowl of water quite hot see to clean as I wear gloves when cleaning so I do have it quite steaming hot. Also I just thought it could of been stuck to a patterned bowl without us seeing and then if I'd microwaved her breakfast in that it would have melted or be in there without me knowing.
see above answer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes thankyou. And that applies if it was in melted form did you say? I worried this be more likely to get stuck internally that was all.
Yes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What yes this still applies.
I answered the question that you asked.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't know if you meant yes it still applies or yes be more likely.
What question did you ask?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This one ..... Yes thankyou. And that applies if it was in melted form did you say? I worried this be more likely to get stuck internally that was all.
That is why I said that I answered the question that was asked.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes but my reply was meaning are you answering yes to it still applies if in melted form or yes it's more likely to get stuck internally if mellted.
Am I correct your answering the first part of my question as you said earlier on the thread " no "to it sticking to her internally.
I answered the only question that you asked in that post. What question did you ask in that post?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And that applies if it was in melted form did you say?
And I said - yes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you I was just wanting to clarify as it concerned me if melted it would release bpa or toxins easier or stick and not be excreted. But I think you have said none of this is a concern and if by going by our other discussion this wouldn't be classed as a sharp object even if edges are sharp. I think all of this statement is correct.
Correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you. This was the damage caused that I forgot to show you. So from this you can see the amount of plastic that has melted, if you didn't mind taking a look for me.
The answer is unchanged.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou doctor. This is the opposite end and how it should look. May I just ask you doctor if eaten in melted form how does this not stick internally .
It is time to post this as another question.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes but I did pay full price to be able to ask detailed questions.
Your original question is already answered.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok doctor. I think reading back over everything I already asked in regards ***** ***** anyway and you'd said even in the unlikely event that it's eaten in melted form the same advice applies as when I asked you about the plastic tag. So I'm thinking that it would be extremely rare not to pass even in this instance and that there is no medical evidence of foreign bodies such as this causing cancer if retained. Is this all correct doctor as a summary of all we have discussed.
Correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you and I think again from our previous discussions you said that new evidence can come to light but the abscence of any risk at present speaks against there ever being a risk. Would this include this instance with melted plastic, taking the bpa in to account.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have posted a further question doctor and requested yourself. Another doctor was going to pick it up but I said I would wait for your response. Will that question go back to you?
I have just gotten back online. Let me look for the new question.