Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been taking Lorazepam yrs ( 1mg a day). a new

Customer Question

I have been taking Lorazepam for 38 yrs ( 1mg a day). a new team of Docters have taken over the Surgery that I have attended for 65yrs. Over the past months they have had me reducing them and on a couple of occasions have left me without. I am 73 years of age and have numerous Health conditions...Angina being one of them. I have never abused these tablets but have to know I have one to turn to because I suffer with bad panic attacks. the Docter is saying that the tablet is giving me these attacks but it was these symptoms I originally had all those years ago that I was given these tablets....I do not get the attacks if I know I have a tablet. On the two occasions they left me without my Son wanted to take me to Hospital because I could not get a full breath and my heart felt it was jumping out of my chest and the tightness felt like I was having a Heart attack....I have 2 stents in and have to use the G T Spays.....I am anxious all the time' This tablet has worked for me all these years WHY are they putting me through all this at my age...its making me ill and it's a worry to my Children and Husband seeing me like this. Oh!!!..also the second time they left me without a tablet I had such a bad attack that I fell...luckily my Son and Husband were there...I cut my Knee...chipped a tooth..and the pains across my chest felt that I'd pulled every muscle. that was in the evening and the next day when I rang for an appointment was told a Docter would ring me back ...( which took a few Hours), I was diagnosed over the phone and was told they would send a prescription to Chemist for Co-codamol .Please can you advise and help me please...Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are several reasons why these doctors are putting you through this. The comment of this doctor is based on good clinical evidence that these medicines perpetuate anxiety disease or panic attacks. You are correct that people that are prescribed these medicine would have an original reason for the use of the drug that existed before the first dose is taken. However, the studies look at the likelihood of still having problems years later, and people that are treated with benzodiazepines, such as lorazepam, are much more likely to continue having significant problems compared to people that are treated with other medicines. There are some people that have chronic anxiety and panic disorder when any mode of treatment is used, but it is much more likely in people taking benzodiazepines. The other concern is that any of the benzodiazepines are associated with greater side effects as people age. It is recommended that these medicines be avoided in people over 65 years of age. After this age, there is increased risk of difficulty with brain function, impaired driving, falls, and hip fractures. If the medical condition is such that it is impossible to avoid benzodiazepines, then it is recommended that the lowest possible dose and frequency should be used. When the attempt to get off the medicine results in significant symptoms, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor again, and discuss whether the drug can be used at a lower dose or whether the doctor would rather try a medicine that has less side effects in someone over age 65. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have never gone to the Docters with any of these symptoms...I have only had all these anxiety attacks etc since they have taken me down on them. I have worked with the team and tried my best to take less'' 'but surely one a day and lowest strength ...its not like I am taking them like Smarties' All I know is that I am worse off them than on and I think after 38yrs I would have had these symptoms before now. I am having more and more Angina attacks through all the stress and if I don't get some help from somewhere then someone will have to answer if I have an heart attack. I have come to you but you are saying the same as them. Why is nobody listening....Different medication suits different people...they have offered Diazapam which they tried me on many years ago ..these gave me weird heads...and why take me off one addictive tablet to put me on another?. The lorazepam have never put me on a "HIGH" just made me feel normal. I have also suffered severe depressions and when I was 28 had a bad breakdown....I also at the age of 36 started with an overactive Thyroid so I have had to take Thyroxine for the rest of my life...I have to take other medication for the rest of my life..all these can give you side effects but because they are physical conditions they keep you on them...but have a nervous illness and your classed as a drug addict. All I know is I cannot go on like this at my age. I was getting on with my life and its like suddenly it's a nightmare.
You asked me why they are doing this and that is what I tried to explain to you. It is not that I am not listening - it is that I answered the question that you asked, which shows that I am listening to you.
And I also told you that when there are significant symptoms when attemptin to get off the medicines, then you should see your doctor again.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would rather ring you but can't afford anymore, I am a pensioner on minimum pension I have been back many times and don't feel they are listening to me that's why I have contacted you. Can I ask my docter to refer me to somebody who specialises in Nervous illness.
Yes, it certainly would be appropriate to request a referral to a specialist.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You are most welcome.