Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I started with pungent smelling urine Sunday and then I got

I started with pungent smelling urine Sunday and then I got more frequent need to urinate and stinging pain finishing urinating the next day and some pinky brown stains when wiping. This is continuing but the smell of the string urine is much less.
I was due to have a second infusion of Rituximab for Rheumatoid Arthritis two days dgo but they postponed it when o told them of the suspected Uti and took a urine sample whilst I was there. That has come back today as negative and I been told by the consultant that the sample was contaminated (skin cells?) but she was lost unhelpful how to proceed and when I told her of the ongoing symptoms which have not improved she was not interested.
I need to ascertain I don't have a uti to try get my second Rituximab next week or week after. I am going to go to open clinic at the GPs tomorrow and ask for another urine test.
I'm worried as although many of the symptoms are of a bladder infection I don't recall in the one I had before in my 20s of wiping pale stains of pinky brown blood. I also feel the sting very close to the opening of the urethra. It is prickly both sides but one side more. I have some low level discomfort in the bladder area. No temperature or fever. I do but have any vagunal discharge or pain there.
I am female aged 56 and had microscopic haematuria discovered in routine urine tests in 2014 for my RA drug monitoring. I was referred to a urologist who did a cystocospy and found nothing and also did a urine test for cancer cells which was negative. I was told I was one of the people who sheds a few more red cells than usual and also RA could cause this?
I'm so worried as if I am being told I have no uti so now I'm fearing the worse.
JMH
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Urinalysis can often be negative and that is why three samples at different times should be taken for urinalysis if in doubt. I would suggest that you have your GP do a urine culture and sensitivity test along with a urine R/E and also have a bladder ultrasound done to rule out inflammation and thickening of the bladder wall, which occurs in cystitis (bladder infection).If the tests are negative then UTI can be ruled out. If they are positive then the treatment can be initiated.Let me know if you have any concerns about this.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am going to the GP in the morning and will let you know what happens. Thank you for your reply.