DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I was recently diagnosed with Sinusitis after experiencing

I was recently diagnosed with Sinusitis after experiencing pain in my wisdom teeth and molars, mucus in back of throat but no stuffy nose, headaches, low grade fever, fluid in one of my ears and generally feeling unwell. The doc gave me Doxycycline which cleared up the ill feeling and the fever but I still wasn't feeling 100%. I ended up getting sharp pain in my one of my molars so I went to the dentist where I discovered I had an infection in one of my roots and it had probably been there for some time, hence the poor health. I was prescribed Flagyl to clear the infection which mostly worked, but I still wasn't feeling great. I went back to the dentist to get the tooth drained and she put in the temp filling, then prescribed Amoxicillin as I was still feeling off. I've been feeling a lot better than I was, but the mucus in the back of my throat is constant and I sometimes have a crackling in my ear, followed by sharp pain. I don't have a cough or a runny nose but there are times when I feel nauseous (I think because I'm swallowing whatever is in the back of my throat - which tastes rancid sometimes) and it's been like this for nearly 2 months. I'm wondering if it could still be the sinusitis, and if it is, are there other things I can do to ease the symptoms?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhat is missing here is the sinus CT which takes about 5 minutes to do.This will show if you have chronic sinus infection, and if you need a drainage procedure.....nothing is going to clear this up if you do, until you get the procedure. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the sinus CT be done by an ENT doc after a referral from my GP? I think the waiting list is 24 weeks to see an ENT here and private is too expensive so it looks like I'll be dealing with this for a while to come. Thanks for your response.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Your gp can order it. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.