Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Just need a bit of reassurance really. I am a 57 yr old man.

Just need a bit of reassurance really. I am a 57 yr old man. Height 1.7m and 16 stone. I am type 2 diabetic on metformin and gliclacide. I also receive three different tablets for high blood pressure.
I am a house painter and have a fairly physical job. For example painting a ceiling I will move stepladders round the edge cutting in, so say I climb four or five steps in quick succession as I go round the room a few yards at a time. So despite being overweight round my waste I am reasonably fit.
To my question which my doctor reckons I'm ok. I was told I had a right bundle branch block about two years ago. My resting pulse rate is in the mid 40s and as I write this its 49. Over the last year I have also had dizzy spells. These last more than a few seconds then I feel ok. I first noticed them when I got out of my van/car and stood up. To some it would look as if I were drunk. The bad spells happened when I was standing and were very scary as I felt like I would fall over or faint. After a few minutes I would be fine.
Despite all this when I asked my doctor about the low pulse rate he didn't seem concerned. I'm now left thinking I'm about to have something bad occur like a stroke. It doesn't make for a relaxing life!
You must excuse me as I haven't been very trusting of my gp's. Over a period of 5 years and about 8 different doctors I complained of nausea and lack of energy late afternoon at work. When I got home I would be pale white. I was never taken seriously and was made to feel I was wasting their time. However during a routine blood test when we joined a new practice they found I was diabetic. The doctor told me my body had had the equivalence of a heart attack and i would feel ill for some time. I had the highest lipids reading he'd ever seen and said I must stop drinking to help my liver. This I found funny as I am near teetotal.
He reckoned I'd been diabetic for at least three years. On the medication I did indeed feel ill and work suffered for months.
Then I had pain in my stomach after eating fatty foods. This always happened in the middle of the night with a fever and feeling sick. Again I saw four different docs at the local practice who prodded and poked me but each time I came away having felt they wernt taking me serious.
However, after an asbestos scare I was sent for a chest xray. It was by chance they found I had "signs" of gallstones and arranged an appointment to have my gallbladder removed. Even this didn't go smoothly. I was meant to have day surgery by keyhole but the gallbladder was in fact calcified and ruptured during the op. I spent a week in hospital, peeing through a tube for two weeks and pains in my legs like bee stings that no one seemed to know why???
So I am contacting you for a second opinion. Is it normal to have a pulse rate in the 40s while being overweight with a right bundle branch block and occasional dizzy spells? I include the rest for your information. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidin the USA, your doctor would have sent you to see a cardiologist and they would have ordered a holter monitor test to check for slow heart rate or bradycardia and see if slow heart rate is responsible for these bad dizzy spells which could be caused by your blood pressure to your brain being too low when you stand up too quickly. this could be very serious and could cause you to faint or pass out in the future at some point in time.in the UK, they tend to not want to run such expensive tests like a holter monitorhopefully the doctor at your new practice is better. heart rate in the 40s and if you get dizzy symptoms and light headed symptoms is not normal. this is called bradycardia and could be due to your right bundle branch blockin the USA, you would have been sent to see a cardiologist and they would have talked to you about getting a pace maker placed which could help your heart rate rhythm not to be so slow.you should consult with a cardiologistlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician