Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son has a small dark brown mole underneath his foot. He

Customer Question

My son has a small dark brown mole underneath his foot. He is 11 years old and recently mentioned that it was itching. We are going to Australia tomorrow should I cover it with a plaster as well as high sunscreen. Also get it checked ASAP. I had an appointment booked yesterday that I have been waiting for for 3 weeks. However we were 7 mins late as we got blocked in by a lorry delivering and they wouldn't let us see the doctor despite there being several people in front of us.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. It is appropriate to use sunscreen, but it would only be necessary to otherwise cover the mole if the itching is of such severity that your son may scratch or pick at the mole. If the mole is causing discomfort when walking on the foot, it may help to apply a circular bandage around the mole to relieve pressure on the mole. It also would not be a problem that the mole cannot be checked until after your trip to Australia.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/