DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I was diagnosed with grand mal epilepsy at age 7. I am now

I was diagnosed with grand mal epilepsy at age 7. I am now 55 and have been fit free for 28 yrs on Tegretol.
I take 800mgs bd.
I find that the tegretol makes me drowsy roughly 2 hrs after I take it. which is not a problem at night but I find I nod off in the mornings.
I have wondered increasingly about whether my dose could be reduced and how to go about that.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.Not sure what your question is.There are choices hereLive with it.See if a dose adjustment helps.Change medications entirely.This needs to go to the prescribing doctor.I assume you are not driving at this point.If so, you need to address this immediately. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am living with it. I am driving but never drive if I feel drowsy.
Whenever I bring this up with my GP he always says better to live with it than risk a return of seizures.
I no longer live in the area of the original prescribing Dr. so woiuld need my GP to refer me.
I guess what I want to know is, is it safe for me to reduce my meds in the morning and see what happens?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It is not safe without supervision.Ask your doctor, he might want to increase in the evening and reduce in the morning.