Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Ihave a low pitched drone in my right ear...occurs at night

Customer Question

Ihave a low pitched drone in my right ear...occurs at night mostly when in bed...
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThis is known as tinnitusThis is a condition of the inner ear that results in a buzzing or humming soundUnfortunately there is no known cureThe best thing to do is to run a fan at night.That will help drown out the noise.I suffer from this too and that is what I do.they are looking into cures but nothing yetJust be sure to wear ear protection in the futurelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have a different answer for you.You need to see an ENT doctor.The causes of ringing in the ear are many and varied.UnknownEar WaxEustachian tube dysfunction.Infection.TMJcervical spine problemsAnxietyBlood vessel problemsTumor in rare cases: acoustic neuroma. If this is suspected, an MRI is needed.Other causesThe most common cause: hearing damage.This must be evaluated and there are treatments depending on cause.There are also treatments for tinnitus per se which are more effective than running a fan at night, such as retraining devices, and other interventions.See this mayo clinic write up:http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20180394I am a double board certified US doctor. Realize that a diagnosis of exactly what this is can not be given over the internet, and requires, ethically and medically, and exam and testing.Find me as needed. Save time and find Dr. Thomas in medical by request for accurate, comprehensive and up to date medical and integrative medical answers.Please click a positive. It's on the rating scale at the top of this page.
Please don't forget to look at the rating scale for me.I am credited for work only when you rate positiveIf you have more questions, just reply :)