Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have just used lanacane cream to relieve intense itching.

I have just used lanacane cream to relieve intense itching. Trouble is that I didn't read the label properly and I could be in very early stages of pregnancy. Any advice? Thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.If it was just a one time application then you do not have to worry about any side effects as far as the pregnancy is concerned. Topical benzocaine does not have much systemic absorption, so you need not worry. I wouldn;t recommend that you keep on using it as a regular application during your first trimester though, since it is a category C drug for pregnancy and its risks have not been established since human nor animal studies aren't available.However, this one time application will not have harmed your pregnancy.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.