Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have red flakey and extremely itchy patches around

Customer Question

Hello. I have red flakey and extremely itchy patches around my bottom. It's on one cheek as such and I was prescribed HC cream by my doctor. This carved the rash down and I carried on using the cream to try and get rid of it. The cream is now not that effective and it's come back worse. What else can I use? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Would it be possible to attach a picture of the rash?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I'll do that now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am off to the pharmacy this morning so if I can get anything, I'd be greatful. It's been getting gradually worse as I must scratch in my sleep
Thank you for the picture. This rash does look to be an inflammatory rash, and the use of a hydrocortisone cream would indicate that your doctor also thought it was inflammatory. When someone has an itchy rash, there should be some consideration of whether there is a fungal infection, but there are not any characteristic features of a fungal infection on this picture. It is possible that a fungal infection could be present without characteristic features, and the most accurate method for diagnosis of a fungal infection is a microscopic examination of scraping of the rash, but over the internet, I can only comment upon the appearance of the rash. For an inflammatory rash, a hydrocortisone cream is as strong as can be obtained over the counter. There are stronger steroid creams available by prescription, but your doctor would need to prescribe those medicines. There are limited options available for home treatment. It may help to use interventions to make the hydrocortisone creams somewhat stronger, such as by applying a non-absorbant bandage over the rash after application of the hydrocortisone cream. It also may help to take an oral antihistamine to try to augment the effect of the hydrocortisone cream. There are many different antihistamines available over the counter, such as diphenhydramine or cetirizine. Lastly, even though there is not the characteristic features of a fungal infection, it would be an option to try an over the counter antifungal cream, such as clotrimazole, to see if it helps. Since microscopic examination is not an option at home, the best that can be done is a trial of an antifungal medicine to see if it helps. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your help. The HC cream used to work a treat and I'll try it again. Do I have to use the antifungal cream completely separate? Or can I do for example, morning with one and night with the other?
They can be used together. There are actually some products that combine the clotrimazole and hydrocortisone in one cream.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is what I have used. I'll try and get the same again
Actually, this is one of the products that is a combination of clotrimazole and hydrocortisone.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fantastic. Thanks for your help. Have a good day
You are most welcome.