Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I recently suffered a missed miscarriage. I was 10.5 weeks

Customer Question

I recently suffered a missed miscarriage. I was 10.5 weeks when I naturally misscarried but the pregnancy hadn't progressed past 6.8 weeks. I bled for 7 days and it took a further 8 days to get a negative hpt. I have had a period (longer than normal,7 days) since then. My cycle was 35 days which is actually pretty normal for me. My problem is I have a terrible lower back ache which is constant. It doesn't feel like bone or muscle, it feels deep, and pressured, it's both sides and radiates around the sides too. I have been doing some reaserch online and the only thing I can get an answer is that it's retained tissue, but I did have a scan which gave me the all clear, I've had a period since and have no unusual discharge, blood, temperatures normal etc! Some advice would be grateful received!
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage.When was the miscarriage? How long back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
February 18th, this year
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
What scan did you have to rule out retained products of conception? An ultrasound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, an ultrasound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did say my uterine lining was still 7mm though but I have had a period since
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes an ultrasound
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.I do not think this is retained products of conception because in that case, you would be having severe lower abdominal cramps, pain in the lower abdomen/perineum, high grade fever, discharge per vagina off and on. The presentation is not so shy.The symptoms you mention are very common after a miscarriage and it takes 90 days for the system to set its equilibrium again and for the menstrual cycle to adjust to its previous state. Sometimes, the menstrual cycle re adjusts and adopts a new time table and that becomes the new normal.However, you might want to call upon your ob/gyn and discuss this if s/he wants to do a swab from the vagina or a deeper one from the cervix to rule out a subclinical infection which often happens after a miscarriage and delays the healing time.Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on the top of your screen.Best wishes.