Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Can I get tested to find out why my immune system is low?

Customer Question

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Do you have a history of other infections/problems other than the frequent UTI's?How often do you get them?Is there any specific activity that seems to bring on the UTI's?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have flu at the moment and called 111 two nights ago. The on call doctor advised me to be alert to sepsis due to my symptoms.When my daughter was delivered 3 years ago my urinary infection skipped into my blood and I was unwell for several days, antibiotics took some time to get the infection under control.I had investigations after this but inconclusive. I am careful with diet and have less problem now with UTI's but this bout of flu makes me wonder whether my immune system should be investigated.My parents would probably help financially if private tests are needed. I live in Reading, Berkshire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't take any medication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flu started last Monday, 4th April and I have been off work since Tuesday. I have had a few colds this winter but not ill as such or unable to work.I had whooping cough as a child, glandular fever in my teens followed by a few weeks diagnosed as ME. Apart from the UTIs since then I have been generally well.Antibiotics do not clear up my infections normally. It took several days in hospital to find one I responded to, which I had to gave intravenously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It occurs to my an immunologist might have some answers so if I asked my GP for a referral would this be likely to be approved on the NHS? Might it be a useful exercise?I would like to have another child but am concerned at the moment after the complications last time with blood infection. Delivery however was normal and a good experience in the main.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that additional information.From what you have posted it does not sound like your primary problem is with an underlying immune system issue.Sepsis during an uncomplicated infection with the flu virus is very uncommon. From what you have posted I do not believe you have to worry about your immune system being out of whack...Also, since you have had a good workup for your frequent UTI's, and now, they are less frequent this is a very good sign that your immune system is working well. If this were not the case, you would still have lots of problems with the UTI's and other, more frequent and more severe, infections.I would not let your past complicated UTI following the birth of your daughter keep you from considering becoming pregnant again. Just because it happened once does not mean it will happen again....Also, your OB/GYN can watch you more closely this time around for any complications or UTI's etc.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACSI wish your the very best. Have a good weekend :)
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
I have been lead to believe that the NHS hates to sent people to specialists so I don't know if they would approve a consultation.Here in the USA if you want (or need) to see a sub specialist it (mostly) just happens....and usually right away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. Your response is a little reassuring.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure.I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS