Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had very dark poo this morning - not quite black but very

Customer Question

I had very dark poo this morning - not quite black but very dark. Apart from that I feel ok. I am going away tomorrow on holiday to Japan - should I see advice?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Dark colored stools can mean a few things.First of all, if you are taking any iron supplements or peptobismol, they cause the stool to appear dark.If you are on a high protein diet - that can cause the dark stools.If you are dehydrated that can cause dark stools to occur.But lastly, if the stools were jelly like and tarry, black currant color, then this can mean an upper GI bleed - bleeding from a duodenal or stomach ulcer.In the last case, seeking advice is necessary. A stool routine examination for confirmation of presence of blood,full blood count to establish the amount of blood loss and starting on proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec 20 mg twice a day and ant acids. This is specially possible if you already have acid reflux and stomach problems. A gastroenterology consultation will be mandated.Let me know if you have any more concerns about this.Please do leave a positive rating for the service, click on the stars on the top right corner of your screen.Regards.