Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Follow up question with photo to Dr D Love, it normally last

Customer Question

Follow up question with photo to Dr D Love, it normally last for 1 or 2 hours then it goes, what medicine could I take?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
The appearance o these picture looks more like hives, also called urticaria, rather than changes that would be seen with liver disease. Hives frequently have itching associated with it. Hives will often occur are a reaction to an exposure, but can be either an external or an internal exposure. If it is apparent what is the substance to which you are sensitive, then the first step in treatment would be to avoid that substance, and that may be all that is needed. However, it is frequently not that simple. The usual first step for medicine to take would be an oral antihistamine, and there are several antihistamines available over the counter. For stubborn cases, steroids may be necessary. If it is localized, then a steroid cream would be reasonable, but for diffuse symptoms, it is usually better to use oral steroids. The only form of steroid available over the counter is a mild potency hydrocortisone cream, which would be OK for mild to moderate localized symptoms, but it may otherwise require seeing your doctor for consideration of a prescription. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.