Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am getting some elbow joint pain. It feels like it's

Customer Question

I am getting some elbow joint pain. It feels like it's in the joint and can also hurt when I bench press in the gym? I do train a lot and have recently hurt my shoulder. Could this shoulder injury be making the pain in my elbow area worse? I.e tendons and ligaments being connected could this be causing pain? I am just worried about bone cancer and wondered if I have cause for worry? Can bone cancer affect this area and do you think I should be concerned?
Darren
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.The pain in the shoulder can get referred to the elbow however, in that case both the pains should occur simultaneously. If the pain in the elbow is occurring at a separate occurrence and since you mentioned that you train a lot as well - this should be checked out. Triceps insert just below the elbow and the biceps on the anterior aspect of the radius bone. These two muscles if excessively used to put under stress during training can cause inflammation near their insertions, the elbow joint capsule can also get inflamed as a result of excessive and vigorous exercise.The best course of action will be to see your GP and have this evaluated. After a physical examination - anti inflammatory medication can be started and avoidance of vigorous exercises for a couple of weeks will subside the symptoms. Sometimes, a short course of steroids can also work wonders for joint and tendon inflammations.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you don't think I need to worry about bone cancer? My symptoms are most probably from training/lifting weights and not helped by my shoulder injury?
Darren
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Not at all bone cancer. The symptoms are quite typical of the situation you have mentioned. And I wouldn't even put bone cancer in the differentials. Rest assured.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.Please do not forget to rate the answer by clicking on 5 stars above, as that is the only way I receive credit for my time and effort.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I am just worried as we lost a friend a few months ago, he was complaining of pain in his shoulder and was affecting his golf. In the end after investigations it turned out to be bone cancer and he lost his fight at age 35!

I am 38 and try to look after myself but this pain in the elbow area which is hurting on certain movements. Not severe but it's just the pain is there, it hurts when I lift things mainly but can hurt when resting or moving in certain directions. Are you still pretty confident it would not be bone cancer? I am just stressing myself out a little!

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm very confident that this is not cancer. Diagnosis should be aimed to rule out the common etiologies first. For these symptoms - no doctor will start running scans and tests to rule out cancer. Please visit your doctor soon to have this evaluated and any necessary treatment initiated.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.