Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

My son is suicidal and I would like to get treatment including

Customer Question

Hi my son is suicidal and I would like to get treatment including medication for him without going to our GP I am planning ordering fluoxetine for him online and just want to be sure this is the right kind of anti depressant. He is 21 and had a past trauma which I know is partly what's affecting him. I intend to get him the medication regardless let because I am that concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.I am sorry to learn about your son's condition and I empathise with you.Well, you see if your son is harboring suicidal thoughts then it suggests that he is suffering from Major Depression and this becomes a case of Psychiatry emergency which warrants immediate indoor psychiatry assessment and subsequent management. Thinking of starting him on an anti depressant like fluoxetine or any other anti depressant on your own without any prior psychiatric evaluation from a psychiatrist would be gross injustice to him and it may all you know or send his depression, because anti depressants come with a disclaimer that they may at times worsen one's depression and enhance suicidal thoughts therefore before their prescription a thorough evaluation from a psychiatrist and formal diagnosis of the underlying condition is utmost essential and this should not be bypassed in any case.Also, it must be noted here that any anti depressant including fluoxetine would requireaat least 2 to 3 weeks for it to start it's action, so during this period the suicidal thoughts will not be catered to effectively by the drug and what if he tries to harm himself during this time. Therefore it is my humble suggestion that you that you go to your GP and seek a psychiatry referral for him or else take him to psychiatry emergency on the grounds of him being suicidal and get him thoroughly evaluated by the right professional which in this case would be a psychiatrist. I would not like to endorse the idea of getting him started by you on an anti depressant with it getting him properly diagnosed as this may backfire in terms of worsening his condition all more. I hope this gives you a new perspective to look at things at present. I really hope you take the right decision which will be to take him for evaluation and treatment from a professional like a psychiatrist and refrain yourself from self medicating him with an online anti depressant which can prove to be very dangerous. Wish you all the best and i pray that your son comes out of his depressive thoughts as soon as possible. Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards