DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 85 years old and 3 years ago I was knocked off my

Hi. I am 85 years old and 3 years ago I was knocked off my stationary buggy by a new driver and catapulted out of it onto a grass verge; this is what I am told as I don't remember the impact: I came to in hospital. I injured all of my left side; fractured skull, loss of hearing in left ear, torn rotator cuff and biceps tendon, injured hip bursa, sprained ankle and fractrured fibula: I also received a huge whack onto my left knee which had been replaced 8 months earlier.
Some of these things have resolved themselves. The one thing that hasn't is my left knee which continues to be painful and hot with a pulling sensation of the thigh muscle -- or in that area because the thigh muscle now seeems to be defunct! In the last 2 years and 4 months I have seen the knee surgeon about 6 times, being returned to him several times by my physiotherapist from who I had about 22 sessions of treatment until she had quite exhausted her repertoire. Every time the surgeon says that the replacement knee is sound.
In desperation a few months ago I saw a rheumatologist and gave him the background. He misunderstood and thought I was complaining about pain in my back. I do have back pain which I have learned to live with because when I was 23 I had an arthtodoesis of my right knee so over the years my spine has become twisted somewhat...
After I had been examined and then sent for an MRI scan on my back I asked the rheumatologist, "Well, what about my knee?" and he replied that I hadn't consulted him about my knee so I felt a bit stupid there. He then send me for an isltope bone scan which showed I had inflammation around my left knee ( and other bits because I am quite old) so I was sent back to the knee surgeon who, once again said my replacement knee was OK and he didn't think there was an infection there.
Back to the rheumatologist who said he thought there was nerve damage and to keep taking the painkillers; end of story.
I am still in the same situation. I take 8 painkillers each day, I have to take lots of rest, I can't walk far and I have had no benefit from my replaced knee. My family is weary of seeing me always in pain and urge me "to go to someone else" but this is difficult because I don't know where... In my head I feel as though the pain might be caused by muscle damage. My granddaughters, both of them athlets, urge me to try a Compex machine but my physiotherapist hasn't even heard of it.
I am not looking for miracles. I know I am old but I am in good spirits with no depression - and thankfully, no dementia --but I would just like to find somebody who would cast new eyes on my problem. Is there a specialist who deals just in muscles?
Aplogies for going on so long. Thankyou, Jean Perry
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.
HelloThe prothesis might be sound but the surrounding tissues can be torn up.You need an MRI, assuming the prothesis is MRI compatible.If not, a CT scan.This will show what is going on.If this is referred pain from the lower spine [I will be glad to review the MRI report] that is a different story, and therapy to the discs in the spine is needed. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. You have more or less confirmed what was in my mind. I would have appreciated a slightly longer answer! Having parted with my card number I am now afraid that this might just be a money- making site so before I do anything else I am going to consult with my lawyer.
HIExperts log into the site just as you do, only to answer questions, not ask.You can review my profile as to my credentials. I am a double board certified US doctor, with over 20 years of clinical experience. That is third party verified by just answer.We have nothing to do with running the site or with your money agreements with just answer.If you will note, I invited you back to ask more and to give me more information. For example, I am glad to review your MRI report if you type it in or attach it here. In addition, I made you a premium services offer to go into integrative medical approaches to your pain, which is beyond the scope of conventional answers.The answer is quite correct and complete, based on the information that you gave.Please read it again and let me know what you are still concerned about.Please click a positive rating, or , in fact, I am not paid for my time or expertise.We are only paid by just answer per positive rating. Further questions?Further information? What has not been answered for you?
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.