Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a cold that eventually went but left me with

Customer Question

I had a cold that eventually went but left me with a congested feeling in my throat and upper chest so I hacked up some phlegm and it was yellow/green with a bit of blood so went to the doctor and did a sputum test on 1st april 2016 and it came back that I have haemophilus influenza bacteria. I cant take antibiotics for it as im breastfeeding and allergic to penicillin and erythmycn so the nurse practioner just said to see how it goes. did another sputum test last week to see if it had gone and it hasn't as I got the same result back today. I don't really have any symptoms apart from tiredness and a bit of a clogged feeling in my chest now and again and apparently my chest sounds ok. so what I would like to know is how long will it take to leave my body and im just really scared it will turn into something worse. I would stop breastfeeding but my 6 month baby wont take a bottle. please could you tell me what I should do?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidwhat happens when you take penicillin?most people who think they are allergic to penicillin may not beyou can get skin testing to see if you are truly allergic to penicillin.Cephalosporins (Keflex, Ceclor, Ceftin, Omnicef, Suprax) are safe when breast feeding.you should ask your doctor to do an antibiotic sensitivity and resistance panel on the H influenza bacterial culture to see what antibiotics it is sensitive to.to see what can be used to treat your lung infection.let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get bad rashes with penicillin. The sample came back from the microbiologist and they said the only 2 antibiotics I can take are penicillin or erythromycin which I cant take. How long will the bacteria take to go on its own ? Its been 2 weeks so far.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
that varies from patient to patient.it depends on your immune system and how healthy you are.hopefully your immune system can clear the infection in time without treatment.that is a possibility.it could take 4-8 weeks possibly, possibly longer.ask your doctor to ask the lab to test the sample to cephalosporins to see if those can kill the H influenza.let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are cephalosporins ok to have whilst breastfeeding. I'm just so worried I will be forced to stop breastfeeding when I don't want to. Do you think this will happen? Also do you know why I keep getting infections since child birth ? In February I had moraxella catalarris (however its spelt) its been one infection after another and I don't know why.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, cephalosporins are ok to use while breastfeeding.check for infection or bacteria in your heating system or ventilation system.I hope you don't smoke. smoking can decrease your immune systemyou should take a probiotic daily to help improve your immune system and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.getting more sleep can help improve your immune system.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I will request that at my doctors.
I don't smoke and never have.
How would I check for bacteria and infections in ventilation system or heating?
When you say probiotic do you mean like a yoghurt drink ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can ask for home inspectors to look into your apartment or homeor ask for heating and cooling experts to check for sources of water or bacteria in your heating and cooling systems.yogurt drinks have good bacteria in themalso there are probiotic pills you can buy at your local drug store which have good bacteria in them which can help your bowels and improve your immune systemregular exercise can improve your immune systemlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have given you 5 stars thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thanks.