Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My back seized Sunday night /Monday 1am my husband got me to

Customer Question

My back seized Sunday night /Monday 1am my husband got me to the settee which I lay on my right side for 17 hours I now have extremely bad shoulder pain too n a stinging area in lumbar region I did fall down stairs a week prior n badly bruised hip n back I suffer osteoarthritis n multiple level dic degeneration n annular tears n cervical radicupathy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This isn't related but I had a half knee replacement two years ago suffered 17 years back problems also have a cyst at l5/s1 n tumour t12 not important they say annular tears in lumbar region mri done August 2015
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Have you tried any medicines for this exacerbation of your back?Are you on any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for delay replying
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you receive picture
No, I did not receive any picture.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Meds
60mg codeine 4x daily
5mg diazepam 3x daily
500mg naproxen 2x daily
Temegesic 200mg daily
Oramorph 5ml 4x daily
Gabapentin 4x 300 morning 3x 300 lunchtime 4x 300 evening
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Took pictures
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry took long
Are you currently taking all of these medicines?We usually do not prescribe Temgesic with codeine or Oramorph, because the Temgesic will limit the effect of the codeine and Oramorph.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So why has it Been given .... How long for a trapped nerve I was diagnosed last Thursday A&e..... Then had the fall, then after that back seized and slept on right shoulder for 17 hours now it kills
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How long can I except to be not able to do much will I maybe be okaii to be mobile more by 19th April
I do not know why all of them have been given, unless they were prescribed by different doctors.Were they prescribed by different doctors, such as your GP and the A&E doctor?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No all same doctors
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Meant same doctor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh yes I'm currently taking all apart from tiredness side affect no affect to pain
I do not understand why all three pain medicines have been used. We also usually do not combine codeine and morphine, but only because they are redundant, as the codeine is metabolized into morphine in your body. However, the Temgesic contains a drug that partly works as an opiate and partly blocks opiate activity, so when combined with codeine or morphine, it can block some of the activity of the codeine and morphine. As for the acute incident, it is common for trauma from a fall to cause pain and muscle spasm in someone with chronic degenerative disease of the spine. And if that person is already having chronic pain or muscle spasm, the fall may cause a worsening of the chronic pain and muscle spasm. It also is important after a fall, though, to be certain that no additional problems have arisen in the spine, and particularly that there is no fracture of the spine. Fractures of the spine from a fall is fairly common. If there is no fracture, then the duration of symptoms will usually last several days to a couple weeks. If there is a fracture of the spine, then the duration of symptoms will usually be 4-6 weeks, although the symptoms will not be this bad for that time and will be steadily improving. At this point, it would be appropriate to get another x-ray of the spine to be certain that there is no fracture of the spine. It also would be appropriate to adjust the medicines to maximize the pain relief. While there are many options of how to adjust the medicines, it would be reasonable to use only morphine for control of pain, and adjust the dose to be equivalent to the amount of codeine and Temgesic that was previously intended. It also may help to add a muscle relaxer. The diazepam has some action as a muscle relaxant, but a specific muscle relaxer would be another option, such as Soma or Flexeril.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I doubt I can get prescribed those as one is licensed for fibromyalgia Which I have but not licensed in uk the other isn't commonly used here either
Any muscle relaxer that your doctor wants to use would be an option.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is diazepam a good option since uk have others too such as Tizanidine baclofen dantrolene
Diazepam is generally a good muscle relaxer, but because of the type of drug, the body can develop tolerance over time, and a direct muscle relaxer may work better.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What would be a direct muscle relaxer baclofen? Is it addictive
The tizandine and baclofen are muscle relaxers and do not cause tolerance or addiction. The diazepam would be the drug that is addictive.