Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

As advised I have posted this as a new question..Ok thank

Customer Question

As advised I have posted this as a new question..
Ok thank you and I think again from our previous discussions you said that new evidence can come to light but the abscence of any risk at present speaks against there ever being a risk. Would this include this instance with melted plastic, taking the bpa in to account.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidwould you like my help.I don't think that other expert is online now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is ok I would prefer to wait for Dr Love as it is regarding a previous discussion.
sure.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.
Yes, this would also apply to the possibility of swallowing melted plastic. It actually would apply to any situation for which there is no current evidence of risk. However, as we discussed, while there is always the possibility of new evidence of risk being discovered, we can only make decisions based on the current knowledge of risk. And as I also said, the entirety of our previous discussion about swallowing the plastic tag would also apply, and that includes the statement that even if all of the BPA and similar chemicals in a small piece of plastic were released, there would not be any risk from that amount of BPA.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
dud my reply send doctor? Im not sure if the site is playing up?
The system does not show a reply after my response.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh ok it must be internet problems my end then.
ok thank you doctor and would this be the case in the future also do you know, even if new evidence did come up? I just think about if any plastic was ingested and walled off indefinitely.
You keep asking me if I know what would be in any new evidence. My guess would be that it would be very unlikely that there would be any such new evidence, but you continue to ask if I know, even if new evidence did come up. No one can know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think I may of worded it wrongly. I mean to say if it came up that there is a risk with such scenarios like this would this still be No risk with the amount of bpa or other chemicals in the particular item swallowed that I am concerned about or is that what you mean no one can know.
If there is risk that is found in the future, my guess is that it is much more unlikely that risk would be found from a single episode than from repeated episodes, because the amount of BPA in a single small amount of plastic is so small.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok doctor I see. I just remember you saying when we talked about the plastic tag, that the amount swallowed wouldn't be more than people are exposed to on a daily Basis anyway unless we got rid of all plastic. I do just worry as I said that if the plastic was eaten with food in solid or melted form and it became embedded indefinitely that there would be a cancer risk. That is my overall concern.
There is no evidence to suggest that this would be a concern.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
May I ask you now doctor about how melted plastic would not stick internally?
There are two main reasons. First, the gut is coated with a layer of mucus that prevents things from sticking. But even more important is that every lining in the body, including the lining of the gut, regularly sloughs off and is replaced with new cells, and the lining of the gut turns over very quickly. Even if white glue is swallowed, it typically will not stick internally. But even if a strong adhesive were to be able to get into the gut and did not stick in the mouth, such as cyanoacrylate, the adhesive in super glue, the most that it could do would be a transient sticking until the lining sloughs off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see and is the gut the whole of the GI tract? And could it get stuck anywhere like mouth, throat or Tummy before it got to the gut?
I just said that every lining sloughs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh I see I thought you meNt just the gut. Is that why it is unusual for foreign bodies to get stuck indefinitely then? I was just thinking doctor that you know I was concerned that the blob of plastic could of got in to some food that I cooked. Well obviously it would of melted and remoulded when cooled I worry it could of expanded to a size or shape that wouldn't pass so easily if swallowed. Should I be concerned about this.
No.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So it would just be excreted with the food.
What other option remains?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well that was my concern that it gets embedded.
I have already answered that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know you said this is quite rare and if it did the bpa would be a negligeable amount even if there did become clinical evidence of risk. Is that correct.
Yes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And would that be the case if it is retained but in years to come they get rid of bpa and other chemicals in plastics completely. Would it still be classed as negligeable amount.
Why would it change based on future plastics technology?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I was just thinking if they got rid of bpa or similar chemicals due to an evidence of risk coming up. It could then be that even small amounts are a concern.
If so, how could anyone in the present possibly know one way or another.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know I was just hoping that this would be a negligeable amount no matter what evidence could or couldn't come to light as if it is walled Off its obviously there forever.
It is impossible to know future knowledge, but I have already told you my guess above.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes I understand. Is that how you can tell me that it will be a negligeable amount even if a risk is found?
It is how I can tell you my guess, which is all I can say about future knowledge.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes but i just want to try to understand how you can tell me it's a negligeable amount and it will stil be negligeable if a risk is found.
Any statement about future knowledge is my guess. That is all anyone can do. If you ask me my opinion about the future, it is always a guess. If you ask me if I know anything about the future or say anything about the future with certainty, I will tell you that the future is unknowable.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So you don't know then that if there did become clinical evidence of risk this would be a negligeable amount?
How can anyone know what the future clinical evidence shows? I can only make a guess, as I did above.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see. Well As the plastic would of been mixed in with the food if swallowed. Can I feel confident to think it will of passed through without problems then I don't need to worry about all the future evidence that we don't know.
I have already answered that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you mean when you told me about the the lining in the body sloghs off? Is that what prevents this plastic embedding indefinitely whether it's solid or melted.
I answered you before that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could you not be awkward towards me and just tell me what comment you mean? I don't want to keep going on but its hard when you don't give me straight answers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I only asked again as I remembered when I was speaking to you in regards ***** ***** tag another expert commented and said a baby of that age (as she was 6 months at the time) part of the GI tract will of been a cm in width. I can't remember if it was in the GI tract or a part that goes into the stomach so that was my concern really if it is only a cm wide and this plastic could of moulded to a shape wider then that and it could be stuck without symptoms.
Actually, I give you straight answers and then you continue to ask me the same questions. Rather than repeating myself, it is a better use of time for you to read the answers that I have already given. I certainly do not need to retype our entire discussion about swallowing small plastic objects when you can just read what I have already typed. If you were willing to pay me for every time that I retype an answer, I would be more willing to repeat the same answers, but you have not been willing to do this thus far. Yuo have not yet given a positive rating for the answers that I have provided in this thread.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No that is because I don't feel that positive about our conversation.
OK
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It says to rate the expert when satisfied with the answer and that you can ask follow up questions which I have done above, but you have ignored this and try to tell me to rate your service before you will answer me which I don't feel is fair.
Also I have had to pay again to ask this question when really it was related to the topic I was discussing with you so I think I have paid enough to ask for detailed responses and won't be forced into giving a positive rating before you give an answer to a question I have paid full price twice, to be able to ask and discuss further.
Th system is designed to ask follow-up questions to clarify the answer to the original question, not to ask an infinite number of questions on the same topic. If someone was able to continue to ask questions on the same topic based on a single payment, then someone that asks an initial question about a chronic condition, such as diabetes, would be able to ask questions on that topic for the rest of their lives, and that is absurd. The system is not designed to allow an indefinite number of questions, solely because it is related to the original topic.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So are you not willing to answer my last question then.
If you give me a positive rating for the answer that has been completed for the original question on this thread, then I would be willing to answer this other question.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have sent the positive rating as requested.
Thank you. There is no evidence that there is any risk that the plastic will mold into a shape that will then get stuck. In addition, the plastic must have cooled to a certain extent for it to be accepted into the mouth, and the forces of the GI tract would not be expected to mold it into a shape that would then get stuck.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see thank you. May I just ask you doctor what part of the GI tract is it that is only a cm wide? I looked back over the threads and can't find the information about it. I think maybe it was my doctor that commented on this. I really can't remember if it was somewhere before the GI tract but I'm sure she said when my baby was 6 months old whatever it was would be about a cm wide.
She was probably referring to the ileocecal valve, which is at the junction of the small and large intestine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok and may I ask would this be bigger now she is 9 months old.
Yes, it will continue to get gradually larger until she is full grown.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh that's good as I don't think the blob of plastic I was worried about was bigger then a cm and if it won't of changed shape that's good. Yes maybe it was that valve my GP referenced. I just remember her saying sometimes objects can sit in the stomach but I don't think she meant indefinitely? Then she went on to tell me that a certain part was a cm I thought she said something leading to or from the stomach. But she said if it was stuck where it is only a cm there would be symptoms so does that sound like she was referencing the valve do you mind me asking?
You would need to ask her. I have tried to guess what she meant and that was obviously not sufficient, so you would need to ask her. However, from the statement that you just made, it is apparent that since your daughter is not having any symptoms, that whatever she was referencing is obviously not causing a problem, because she said that there would be symptoms.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes I'm pretty sure that's what she said. Thank you for explaining. Doctor may I ask you one last thing relating to my original question about the steamer.
Yes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for delay. Ok it's just do you remember id said I'd realised that where the element sits in the water it is a sealed unit under that so I was hopefully thinking the damage of the melted plastic being on the foot is away from the sealed unit and element. I had just read about phthalates and the chemicals leaching into foods. I just wondered as it is a sealed unit would this be a concern or not?
There are phthalates in many plastics and they can be present in the air and there are concerns about chronic exposures to phthalates, but the incremental exposure to phalates in this situation is minimal compared to chronic exposures, so is not a concern.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ahh ok I see thankyou. Do you know if they would have been able to leach through the unit with the heat? I did read also that bpa is only used in clear plastic and the part that melted was coloured so I'm hoping that is reassuring also.
The phthalates could have gotten into the air from the unit, but it is minimal compared to chronic exposure, so is not a concern.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so even if I continued to use the unit daily after the melting would this not be chronic exposure?
It would be the same as if this incident did not occur.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh ok thank you doctor. I did worry as my husband said that he had used it a few weeks ago and the hob was on slightly. The bottom was red hot but nothing melted. But again I just worry about the heat going through the vent holes might release these phthalates as the steamer is on for about an hour each time, do you think this is ok still and not chronic exposure? Do you think the phthalates could leach through the sealed unit to the food with the constant heat or just into the air did you mean.
You can ask the same question using a hundred different wordings, but the answer is still that the incident would not make this a concern. Ongoing use of the device would be the same as if this incident did not occur.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I didn't word it correctly. I meant if it had been heated by the electric hob more than once. Would that be a concern in regards ***** ***** exposure? Ie my husband accidently doing it and then me. I'm just aware the heat from the electric hob rises so even though it only melted the bottom it would of heated the outer casing around the unit and shelves which are clear plastic and would contain bpa. I didn't know if that would release the phthalates or would it just be if melted.
No, it would not be a concern.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you doctor is that because the unit is made to get hot anyway? I was just concerned that the extra heat coming up from the electric hob would increase the release of these pthlates or bpa?
I understand that when I answered above.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok im sorry. May I just ask why this would nor be a concern.
I included that in my answer above.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Am I right to think that the phthalates or bpa and other chemicals would only be released in the melted part not the extra heat going through the unit. And it is chronic exposures where there are concerns in regards ***** ***** and chronic exposure Would mean long periods/ years even of continued high exposure. Is this all correct doctor.
Yes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
May I just ask what an example of chronic exposure would be.
Anything that creates daily exposures, such as melting this device daily.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you. I was worried incase the hob had been on under the unit on other occasions when we hadn't noticed. We've had it for 3 months, would this be a concern if that had happened multiple times or only if it had melted multiple times?
There is no value in discussing any of the thousands of possible hypothetical scenarios.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I understand that but I just wanted to know if it would only be a concern if it had melted each time.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was just hoping fir your view on this as I couldn't help it crossing my mind. Are you not able to give me an answer even if it's just yes or no.
There is no value in discussing any of the thousands of possible hypothetical scenarios, and since there is no logical reason to stop once the first is addressed, the only logical stop is at the first one.