Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had rectal pain weeks. Managed with

Hello I have had rectal pain for three weeks. Managed with ibuprofen. Mostly like an ache with sharp pains now and again.
No blood, had three docs do an internal examination and they can't feel a syst.
Was told I would get a camera test .. But got a letter to say they are giving me an MRI on Sunday
They took bloods before they came to the decision of the MRI
I'm tired all the time, no weight loss, lower back pain and now and again a stabbing pain in my right abdomen as well as the pain in my anus being located also to the right hand side only
My question is .. Are they looking for cancer with the MRI ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome.There are number of conditions that can result in such kind of pain including infections, hemorrhoids, anal fissure, benign growths, spasm of the pelvic muscles and nerve disease or compression. You should not be worried about cancer at this stage as all of the conditions mentioned above can cause such pain. A common condition which cause such type of pain is proctalgia.It causes sudden and intense, usually lasting less than a minute. But in rare cases, the spasm can continue for an hour. The pain is described as a sharp, stabbing, or cramp-like occurring at the anal opening. The pain can awaken the person from a sleep. The attacks occur in clusters, appearing daily for a while then disappearing for weeks or months. Just relax. MRI would rule out most of the conditions and can help in definitive diagnosis.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure to help you.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.