Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I just spent 10 days in hospital with my 28 yr old son

Hello I just spent 10 days in hospital with my 28 yr old son with severe pneumonia he was on IV antibiotics fluids and paracetamol, he was discharged yesterday with no more anti biotics told to rest but not to wrap himself up in cotton wall and if he felt well enough next week he could go back to work maybe part time, he still has fluid in the pleura that may still need an operation but are hoping nature will take its course and clear on its own, he is due to go back for follow up appointment in 2 weeks and X-ray, I just need a bit of reassurance as it has been a very worrying time thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Good to hear your son is doing well since hospital discharge.Does he have any chest pain?Any shortness of breath?Any fever?If not, then the infection has been treated well.The pleural fluid will gradually get reabsorbed over 6 to 8 weeks in most cases. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No chest pain or fever obviously fatigued and tired may get a bit breathless if excerts himself too much he coughs but not too much and never at night when he sleeps, but generally breathing ok, do you think it is to early to return to work next week as only discharged this week he has quite a full on Job mainly working outside although weather here is getting warmer thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your replies.Does he have any blood tinged sputum with cough?If not, then this cough is normal part of recovery.He should delay at least another week before going back to work full time.His immune system is still recovering from a serious infection.No reason to worry though.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood in sputum even in hospital he didn't have much mucky sputum. Thank you for your reassurance just need to convince him to stay off work another week
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
That is very reassuring. Please do not worry. He should keep on feeling better day by day. Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.