Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Last Friday something seemed to pop at the back of my knee

Last Friday something seemed to pop at the back of my knee and 2/3 hours later I could hardly walk on it. Since then my calf has been swelling and is about an inch fatter than the other. Also the back of my leg and calf is very tender like a big bruise. By the afternoon the swelling goes right down to my foot. I would appreciate your opinion on this
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This could be a ruptured baker's cyst. A baker's cyst is a fluid-filled cyst that causes a bulge and a feeling of tightness behind your knee. It can form as a result of arthritis in the knee joint or osteoarthritis as well. These are usually asymptomatic but can rupture sometimes and a feeling of a pop is accompanied by swelling and pain of the calf and the knee.I would suggest that you go to your GP and have this assessed. An ultrasound of the leg should be done to see if there is any fluid collection in the popliteal area or the calf and if drainage is mandated. If not anti inflammatory medication, elevation and compression will be required. But the best course of action will be to see your GP or if s/he can not be approached then an Urgent Care or an ER visit will be beneficial just to rule out any other problems like DVT and cruciate ligament tears.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.