Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My 24 year old son had a grand mal (his first ever

hello,
my 24 year old son had a grand mal (his first ever seizure) seizure mid flight to turkey on monday, he had a feeling of dread at the airport and on the plane then had a pain in his nose and head and passed out he then began frothing at the mouth body shaking and wet himself, when he came to he was very confused didnt even know he was on an aeroplane and had no memory of what had happened, he was admitted to hospital who said he had a temp of 37.9 and a severe throat, sinus and blood infection and kept him in for 36 hours, after speaking to the insurance company today they are sending my son to a private hospital for more tests as they have said what the hospital have said to them does not cause a grand mal seizure and they are very concerned for my sons health and the seizure itself needs investigating to find out if he is safe to fly home, my son still has bad memory does not feel 100 per cent feels confused on occasions and said he feels like he is living in a dream nothing feels real. i do have epilepsy in the family being my mums sister. what are your feelings from the above information are the insurance correct on what they have said. what do you feel could have caused my sons seizure thank you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he had meningitis of some typeA viral meningitis, bacterial or even fungal could do thisI'm guessing he had a seizure from an infectionlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as the insurane are sending him to a private hospital to have further tests to find out what caused the seizure what tests will they be doing
They might be doing tests on his cerebrospinal fluid to see if there is infection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would they do a ct scan as a seizure affects the brain
Of course.they probably already did that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no first hospital never did any tests relating to the brain just blood tests that is why insurance are so concerned as they want to know the reason he had a tonic clonic grand mal and if he is safe to fly home
Okay then he needs an MRI of the brain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you