Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had gastroscopy. Nad. But I still have no sensation

I have had gastroscopy. Nad. But I still have no sensation between throat and stomach. What next? I have Lupus. Could it be related?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome.When did you have the gastroscopy done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
How many hours have passed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6. No feeling since Feb 2016.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Can you please explain your symptoms little more? Do these symptoms develop after gastroscopy or since february?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was ill. Vomitting two days. Had feeling something stuck in oesophagus. Had gastroscopy previously NAD. Recurred Feb. GP not interested. Two weeks later no feeling from throat to stomach. Been asking for reason since. Asked what I want. Said another gascroscopy as first step. Insisted. Had it today. No response to my request if proceedure would show muscles working or not. Or if sphincter at base of oesophagus working. Said mild gastritis otherwise NAD. So how do I find out why, if I drink iced water I can feel temp in mouth but not after that? Is it nerve or muscle and could Lupus be cause? I have Sjorgrens and Menieres disease and auto immune hepatitis. Sorry so long winded but getting no curiosity or investigations from GPs.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the details.Normally, there aren't any temperature receptors beyond the pharynx. So, feeling something hot or cold beyond the pharynx is beyond human capacity. There are however, pain receptors beyond the pharynx that respond to severe or intense pain only.If you lack feeling in the pharynx as well then that is most likely due to mucosal thickening as a result of Sjogrenz syndrome. Since, dryness in the pharynx causes keratinization of the squamous cell epithelium of the oropharynx. This can cause the sensations in the throat to be blinded or only receptive to a severe stimulus.Hope this helps.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Uzair. I have learned of specific manomatry tests which can see muscle movement in my oesophagus to answer my questions and will see GI specialist in due course. Many thanks for your clearly explained answer which helped me a lot